Chapter 5

A/N: Listen to the song, idk i feel like it goes well with Lucah and Amelia's predicament.

**

Lucah

It's been three days since she was placed in the hospital, one since she's woken up.

She hasn't spoken to me. Every time I go to visit her, she doesn't talk, she just...watches me. I would like to say it's unnerving, but it's the opposite.

She looks at me like I saved her life, like I'm her knight in shining armour. Her brother, well, he'll get what's coming to him....soon.

Just then, Sheila barrels down the hall, carrying to lattes, and pushing through everyone in her way. She closed the shop down for the whole week, just so she could stay here with me and Amelia.

She loved Amelia like a daughter, and although I've only known Amelia for a few days, I wouldn't trade what I have with her for anything.

Sheila hands me a latte, "did you see her yet?"

"I was just about to go in." I mumble, pushing myself up, and handing the coffee back to her.

I leave Sheila in the hall, going to sit by the freshly awoken Amelia. I take a seat beside her hospital bed, grasping her cold hand.

"Hey." Her voice comes out raspy.

I run circles on her hand, "hey."

I smile at her voice, it's been so long since I've heard it.

We sit in silence for a moment. Not an awkward silence, just a comfortable silence.

"Thank you." Her voice makes it's way to my ears.

What is she thanking me for? I didn't save her, I shouldn't have let her go.

"For what?" I say, looking at the floor, trying to hide my face.

"For sa-" I cut her off.

"I didn't save you. I should've interfered before he could lay a hand on you. I shouldn't have let you go up there. It's my fault you're in here, Amelia. It's my fault you almost died." I rant, thinking of a million ways to kill her brother.

She slowly turns her head to look at me.

"You must....be...fucking crazy." She says as fast as she can manage.

I stand up, letting go of her hand.

"Amelia, look at yourself!" I counter. "You almost died at the hands of that lunatic!"

She stares at me passively, "but I didn't."

I look at her incredulously, anger breaking through my barrier, "yeah, well, you're still in a piss-poor condition."

She looks to the seat, begging me to sit down. I do as she wants, taking her hand in mine. She lightly rubs circles with her thumb, calming me down.

I don't know how this girl made such an impression on me in five days. How she could give me more than just my dad and Sheila to care about.

"I don't know why I went back." She says, tears forming in her eyes.

She tightens her hold on me, like I'm gonna float away if she doesnt. I reassure her by holding hers just as tightly.

"After everything he's done to me, I finally had a chance to leave, and I abandoned it." Her voice cracks. "I let him hit me, like the pathetic little girl I am. I'm not worth it anymore. I'm not sure I ever was.

I hate feeling this way, so useless. I thought I could save him, Lucah. I really did. I thought I could break his habit, and eventually get my brother back. But fate seems to have other plans."