Letter Number 7 - Mono-brows and Moustaches

Dear Ollie

I wasn’t in the mood to eat my curry after my confession. So I just dumped my plate in the sink and went upstairs to my room, leaving you kind of dumbstruck at the kitchen table. I know it was kind of rude just leaving you there, but come on I had just made a quite heated confession and I just needed some space.

I sat in my bed-playing snake on my phone for the next half an hour playing snake until I heard the generator click back on. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking ‘why the heck were you playing snake that’s such an old fashioned game’. Let me tell you now, Snake is the most awesome game you will ever play. In your life.

When I opened my door to thank you, I saw you doing a little happy dance. It was kind of funny actually. You didn’t even notice me standing there to begin with. You only noticed me when you started jumping round in circles. When you finally saw me I could no longer hold in my laugh. I was laughing so much that my stomach had began to hurt. When I finally calmed down I saw you standing in front of me with a pink tint to your neck and cheeks and a sheepish smile on your face.

“Well this is awkward,” you said scratching the back of your head.

That just made me burst into a fit of giggles all over again. It felt so good laughing so freely. I hadn’t laughed that freely in a long time.

I took a few deep breaths, and let a few more giggles escape my lips before I was completely calm again. “I so should have recorded that,” I said with another giggle.

You gave me a flat look.

“Sorry” I mumbled staring down at my feet. It was silent for a few moments and then I spoke again. “So is our generator properly fixed?”

You nodded your head. “Should be, but if it breaks again just give me a call” you said with a small smile on your face.

“I’ll remember that. Do you want to pay you?” I asked trying to be polite.

You shook your head vigorously. “No. I don’t want your money,” you said firmly.

I know this sounds really bad, but I’m glad you refused the money that day because honestly we didn’t have any. When my dad was sent to prison we stopped receiving a steady income. Mum and I used the last of the money we had on the house and the flight. We only had the small amount we had saved up and the money my grandparents were sending us to buy weekly essentials. However me being me, I had to insist.

“You sure you don’t want any money? It’s really no problem” I lied. I seemed to like lying back then.

“Pickle I really do not want your money. I have enough of it at home, in fact I have too much” you sighed. You then picked up your tool kit and began descending my stairs. I remember feeling my body starting to panic. I remember my breathing began getting harder and I remember feeling me hands begin to shake. I quickly followed you down the stairs. I didn’t want you to leave, I didn’t want to be left on my own; it made me think history was about to repeat itself. I felt safe with you in my house, like I was untouchable.

“How can someone have too much money?” I asked curiously. I would have said anything at that time to make you stay longer; I really did not want you to leave.

“I’ll take you to my house and you can meet my parents sometime, you’ll understand then” I shrugged my shoulders not thinking much of what you had just said.

You nodded your head at me and then went to open my front door. You opened the front door and then turned around to say goodbye to me. You were closing the front door when I completely lost control of my body.