II. New Year's Kiss (Jeankasa)

written on — 1.1.14

inspiration — i was feeling particularly alone on new year's day (at like 3 am or something) so i wrote this to help myself out.

word count — 1,200

NEW YEAR'S KISS

It was just another day of the year to Mikasa. She didn't get what the huge fuss was about in celebrating New Year's on New Year's Eve either. So you enter a new year that just brings you closer to your inevitable death. Great. She scanned the living room that was packed with all her friends and classmates from Titan High, looking at the smiling faces and hearing the drunk laughter, from the comfort of the black leather couch near the back of the room. She also couldn't find Eren anywhere.

         Right when she was about to get up and search for the familiar face, Eren sat beside her on the couch, his arm around her shoulders. "So what d'you think of this year's party?"

         Mikasa looked around again, catching Armin talking to Annie not too far away and Sasha biting Connie's neck in a shadowed corner. She shrugged. "I'll admit it's more active than last year's party. Not too crazy about the theme you chose, though."

         Despite the fact that Christmas had already passed, the theme for the party was ugly sweaters — or, more specifically, those holiday ones with crazy patterns and possible pop-out parts. Eren was wearing a lime green sweater with white patterning and a giant red Santa hat while he had lent Mikasa one since she didn't own any that were "ugly enough." Thanks to Eren's build the sweater was too big on her. Although it was a bright red with several sparkly, white snowflakes, it was one of the comfiest things Mikasa had ever worn. Eren's green eyes narrowed at her and he smiled. "Hey, at least try to lighten up. The countdown is starting in less than half an hour, and who knows? Maybe you'll get a New Year's kiss..."

         "Oh, shut up." She playfully hit him in the arm, and he feigned a look of hurt. She was one of the only people at that party that was sober, next to Eren and maybe two other people. She still wanted to remember the last day of 2013, even if it did end up being the same as the previous year. As an afterthough she added, "There's no one here that I want to kiss."

         "Well, Jean's back," Eren said. Mikasa's breath hitched at the sound of the boy's name. Jean had left to visit his family in a small town outside of Paris for Christmas. Right before he left, a day before the winter break began, he had pulled Mikasa aside in the school hallway and confessed that he liked her. She wasn't sure how to feel about his confession afterwards. Eren was the only one who knew about Jean; it was only natural for him to give her the news. "Mikasa, don't give me that look. He posted online that he left yesterday to come back home."

         "I never knew," she muttered, looking away from the green eyed boy. "So he's here? Right now? In this house?"

         "He texted me saying he'd be here soon," Eren said, pulling his phone out of his pocket to check for any new messages from Jean. There was nothing.

         "Eren," Mikasa said, meeting his eyes again, "do you think you could pour me a glass of that mixed drink you had earlier? I suddenly feel like drinking."

         Even though he found it weird that Mikasa wanted alcohol, he nodded and stood up, beckoning her to follow. She did. After he mixed her a drink he gave her a pat on the back with his free hand and taking a swig of beer with his other. "You gonna be alright?"