VIII. Insomniac (Jeankasa)

written on — 14.7.14

inspiration — i just finished reading Eleven O'Clock Number by Mariam (wattpad user @defend) and i was in a really solemn mood. this definitely isn't the best i've done but i wanted to write it so here it is (i'm sort of sorry) 

word count — 1,300

INSOMNIAC

Late January nights were never pleasant to Mikasa. Actually, the month of January in general was never pleasant to Mikasa. They usually consisted of one of two things — watching reruns of her current obsession on her laptop while in the bathtub to distract herself was one; sitting or lying down literally anywhere in her house was the second. 

         The night of the eighteenth was no different. If anything, that specific night was what consisted of the first and what would probably finish with the last once the final episode of the third season of Game of Thrones ended. Mikasa was four episodes from being caught up with the series and she dreaded what would happen after that because she wasn’t sure what series she would want to watch next. Tonight also involved a tub of pistachio ice cream and her phone for games whenever she wasn’t allowed to skip 30-second ads. 

         Mikasa was in the middle of licking her spoon clean of her most recent scoop when her phone buzzed beside the tub, Jean’s name lighting up the screen. She paused the episode and put down her ice cream; he was one of the only two people she was willing to drop what she was doing for. 

Jean Kirschtein (00:58) you there? 

Mikasa bit her lip. Did she feel like texting him or did she just want to finish another three hours of episodes before, well, three o’clock in the morning?

Mikasa Ackerman (00:58) Yeah, I guess I am. 

Jean Kirschtein (00:59) well, are you doing anything right now? i was wondering if i could come over. 

Mikasa Ackerman (00:59) Jean, it’s past midnight. 

Jean Kirschtein (01:00) i didn’t really mean that as a question. i’m outside your house and if you don’t answer this door in five minutes i’m going to pick the lock. 

Mikasa Ackerman (00:01) I’m in the bathtub 

Jean Kirschtein (01:01) fine, you get ten minutes. 

She  couldn’t help but roll her eyes and the boy’s texts. It was always a thing for him, ever since they befriended each other in the second year of high school. Jean would always randomly pop up at her house, especially in the month of January. Although she would never admit it, she was grateful for it. She wrapped a towel around herself and left her hair dripping against her back when she went to open the door. She hid herself behind it to avoid the cold winter winds from touching her wet, bare skin. “Hey, Jean.” 

         “That was twelve minutes, you know,” he replied, a smug look coming over his face. Mikasa rolled her eyes. 

         “So help me for being two minutes past the ten you gave me,” she said. “Anyways, let me finish up my bath and I’ll come down. Wait for me in the living room.”