VI. Threats & The Midnight Flower (Jeanmarkasa)

written on —12.3.14

inspiration — it was my friend's birthday and she lives too far away to send a present the day of, so i wrote this instead. it's an AU where marco is a less desperate version of clary, jean is jace, and mikasa is like a female alec. 

word count — 1,100

THE MIDNIGHT FLOWER

“Won’t Mikasa and Eren come up here? We could get caught,” Marco voiced. His worry must have been obvious because Jean only scoffed. 

         “They won’t be in the greenhouse because they have allergies,” he reassured him. “It’ll just be us tonight—and besides, I brought you up here for a reason. There’s something I want you to see.” 

         Marco stayed quiet as he followed Jean up the spiraling staircase. He had already seen much of the greenhouse just by following behind the shadowhunter; he couldn’t believe there was any more than one floor to it. He even saw a few blooming flowers in colours that he didn’t think flowers could be. 

         The staircase made no sound as they walked up together. Marco still couldn’t believe the amount of foliage in a single greenhouse. “This is amazing, Jean.” 

         “I know.” The second that Marco looked up from what looked to be a small succulent, he caught the faintest glimpse of a smile on the corner of Jean’s lips. It didn’t last long, though. Jean reached into the picnic basket he brought and took out a sandwich, handing it to Marco. “By the way, I don’t mean to brag but I believe I make a mean cheese sandwich.” 

         “Do you now?” It was Marco’s turn to smile; he couldn’t even deny Jean’s cockiness once he took a bite of the sandwich. Through a mouthful, he complimented, “Thish tashtes absorutey derishus!” 

         “I’m going to assume that that was a compliment,” Jean said. He waited until Marco was on his last bite of grilled cheese before pulling out an apple and a small knife to cut it with. Marco took half of the apple with delight at being able to finally spend time with Jean alone. There never seemed to have been a good time. When they heard the clock tower beginning to go off in the distance, Jean stood up and held his hand out to Marco. He followed him over to a small pot with a closed flower. It didn’t seem to stand out, not like Marco had somewhat expected. 

         “Happy Birthday, Marco Bodt.” 

         Marco looked at Jean with a suspicious expression before the lazy smile was back on the shadowhunter’s face and he nodded in the direction of the closed flower. As the bong, bong sound of the tower could still be heard, he watched as the flower looked as if it were seeing life for the first time. It bloomed in such a matter that was breathtaking, six white petals with tips painted a shade of deep magenta. It stayed open for a few more seconds before it closed entirely,  back to how it was only a minute before. 

         As if reading his thoughts, Jean explained. “It’s called the Midnight Flower, and for obvious reason, too. It only blooms for a minute every midnight before closing again, only to open twenty-four hours later.” 

         Marco was still transfixed on the flower, but Jean’s hand cupped his shoulder. He could feel Jean’s hot breath near his ear. “Come on, we should be getting back now.” 

         He didn’t know what to think. After watching the shadowhunters’ elegance and the intricacy of the institute and the beautiful delicacy of a damn flower, he was now afraid of screwing something up horribly. 

         He did, of course. Walking down the stairs behind Jean, he managed to stumble down the last few, Jean catching him with ease with his hands on his waist. Marco caught Jean’s shoulders and let out an awkward, nervous laugh—because doing the opposite of what he tells himself isn’t even possible. “Uh, sorry.” 

         “Don’t be.” He meets Jean’s eyes and is surprised when the boy’s voice comes out quieter than he expected. He also didn’t know what to do except look in Jean’s eyes once he regained his footing. Before Marco was able to say anything, the hands around his waist pulled him closer to Jean and the boy’s lips were on his in a passionate kiss.  

         Marco didn’t know what could be more perfect than that moment. 

THREATS

“Marco!” The brunet turned around and saw Mikasa walking towards him. “Can I talk to you?”

         “Uh, yeah,” Marco said. “What is it?” 

         She may have been only four or five inches shorter than him—without her heels—but she was intimidating by anyone’s standards. Anyone except her brother, Eren, and Jean, of course. “I want you to leave here.” 

         Marco blinked. “What?” 

         “You almost got us killed,” Mikasa hissed. 

         “Ah—” His eyes narrowed. “We didn’t have a choice, we had to save Armin. And Jean—”

         “Jean thinks the needs to save the world,” she interrupted. Marco felt his ears get hot. “But you, you don’t need to encourage him to do it.” 

         “That’s what you guys do—” 

         “Yes,” she interrupted again, and Marco was ready to hit her straight in the face. “Us. What we do. We’re a team and you’re a deadweight. A mundane—”

         “I’m not a mundane,” Marco interrupted, his voice getting louder. He didn’t understand what Mikasa had against him since entering the institute after almost getting killed. She narrowed her eyes as she watched him gain more confidence. “And if you were half as bright as you pretend to be you’d admit that—”

         “What?” 

         There was a tense silence as Marco weighed his options. “Then you’d admit that you're in love with Jean and that’s all this is really abou—” 

         He never got to finish his sentence because Mikasa had him pressed against the wall in seconds, her hand wrapped around his throat. The heels she wore made her close to Marco’s height and her eyes didn’t leave his as he tried to gasp for air.

         “If you ever,” she seethed, their faces centimetres apart, “mention that again... I’ll kill you.”  

         Her hand remained around his neck for a few extra seconds before he was released from her grip and she walked away angrily, her heels echoing in the large, high-ceilinged corridor. He continued to gasp and cough and sputter for air until she rounded the corner and disappeared from his sight. 

please cut me a bit of slack i haven't seen this movie in a while and the book isn't on me i went by what was in my head and a crappy 240P youtube video for this