XI. Last-Minute Money (Jeankasa)

written on — 15 oct 2014

words — 1,000

LAST-MINUTE MONEY 

"Tell me how you managed to get me this job again?" Mikasa asked. She and Jean were well aware of the anime convention that was occurring that very weekend, which was where they were headed on that Friday afternoon.

Jean shrugged. "I saw a sign that said Help Wanted and I couldn't resist. So I put your name down too, since I know you aren't busy this weekend."

"And what if I ended up being busy?" Mikasa crossed her arms over her chest. Jean always did this sort of thing without telling her; although she normally didn't mind it, this one bothered her a little bit.

"Then I'd make you cancel plans."

"It's a cosplay café," she deadpanned, refusing to move the hair that was falling into her eyes out of the way. Jean reached a hand out to fix it but she moved away, continuing to speak. "We are now wait staff at a cosplay café. The pay better be worth it."

"Worth it or not, consider this another date of ours." Jean grinned sheepishly. Mikasa simply groaned. The two had been dating since August - it was now the last weekend of May, the three days of anime convention for the public to enjoy. What he wasn't going to tell her was that he wanted to see her in a cosplay; Mikasa wasn't one to dress up jn costume for anything. What better way to wear a costume than at a cosplay café?

Mikasa couldn’t help the smile creeping onto her face. “But you’re not paying for anything.” 

“I’ll buy you all the milk tea and rice balls you want,” he cooed in response, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and kissing her temple. “Come on, it won’t be that bad.” 

xxx

“This is bad, Jean. This is pretty damn bad.”

Jean was leaning against the wall, arms crossed over his chest as he impatiently waited for Mikasa to come out of the women's bathroom. He was already dressed as a waiter; he even had the white gloves to complete the entire look. Jean rolled his eyes at her. "Don't be ridiculous. Our shifts start soon and if we don't go now we'll be late. Don't you want to get paid?" 

"But I look bad," Mikasa hissed from inside the bathroom. She cracked the door open slightly, narrowing her eyes at Jean. "Look at this thing on my head. Why do I have to wear this? Why do I need to dress up like this?" 

Jean bit back a smile. "Please tell me you're kidding. It doesn't look bad at all." 

"That's what you say," Mikasa said, her eyes shifting from left to right to see if there was anyone walking by. "You didn't tell me this was a part of the deal." 

That was something Jean adored about Mikasa, especially when they're around each other: she drops the entire strong girl look because, as much as that is a part of her personality, there's also an awkward-and-embarrassed side. And he had the honour of seeing that side — like right then — all for himself.

"We need to go," Jean groaned, pushing himself off the wall and standing up straight. He straightened his waistcoat. "At least you aren't wearing a weird...tie thing, okay? They're pretty bad, if you ask me. Took me a while to get it on—" He stopped himself and looked back at Mikasa, whose cheeks were beginning to take on a pink tinge. "What did I say?" 

"You're... You're wearing..." Mikasa swallowed. "You look... Nice. Yeah, nice. Attractive." 

Jean laughed. "Is that your way of complimenting me?" 

"Yes, actually." She closed the door once more. Jean was ready to barge in on her and drag her out of the bathroom no matter what she looked like when, at that moment, she opened the door herself. And Jean was speechless. 

Mikasa looked like a real maid in her costume. It consisted of a short-sleeved, high-necked blouse and a female waistcoat, a large bow resting before the curve of her right shoulder. The skirt puffed out so much that Jean decided he needed to correct himself — she didn't look like a maid. With her short hair and blushing face, she looked like a true porcelain doll. 

"Aren't you going to drag me to work now?" Mikasa said, snapping Jean out of his reverie. "Or something? I mean, the staring is making me feel weird." 

"Uh, yeah. Right." But he didn't move. He couldn't, not after seeing her in the outfit. But something seemed off. "Wait." 

Mikasa didn't move. Jean stepped closer to her, so close that he could feel the faintest hint of her breath against his neck. The headdress she had on stayed on because it contained two clips; he unclipped the headdress, allowing small portions of her short hair to fall where they should. He smirked, stepping back and holding the headdress by his thumb and forefinger. "This distracted from your actual hair. I'll say we couldn't find a headdress for you." 

Mikasa blinked. "Okay." 

Jean held his arm out, waiting for his doll — his doll — to take it. Once she did and they made their way to the cosplay café, Mikasa spoke up. "Oh, and Jean?"

"Yeah?" 

"You're wearing a bolo tie," she stated. "And it's on the wrong way." 

Jean stopped in his tracks, standing outside of the entrance. "Were you about to let me go in with a messed up bolo tie?" 

"No..." Mikasa stepped forward this time, switching roles with Jean. "Just let me do this for you. We'll deal with the names of neckwear later, okay?" 

Jean's cheeks flushed over. "Whatever. Just fix the thing so we can go inside." 

"Bolo tie." 

"I don't even care anymore." 

ha DUMB i am so dumb anyways this was inspired by the photo on the side. the artist's twitter profile is over in the external link. I don't know what this is. jeankasa is dumb and i love them almost as much as jeanmarco (but not really) so yeah i'm rambling bye