Chapter 2 Φ

Chapter 2 Φ

"Newspaper, Mrs. Fletcher," I called out, as I threw a bundle of papers in front of the Fletchers' front door.

A moment later, I saw a heavy lady wearing an orange apron came out of the door. She bent down and picked up the newspaper. She noticed me looking at her and met my eyes. With her usual frigid stares, she quickly looked away.

I clasped the brakes of the bike. Trying to sound cheerful, I greeted her, "Good morning, Mrs. Fletcher!"

She slammed the door behind her back.

With a fleeting sigh, I went along, pedaling across town. It had been going on for the last four years since my mother's death—the slamming doors, the gossips, and those stares. I was already used to it, enough not to let it get to me.

Delivering morning papers was one of my part-time jobs. With the last bundle of paper to be delivered, I stopped my bike in front of Aunt Coral's bookshop. Pulling my bike to the side, I went inside their store and found my way to the kitchen, which was right behind the check-out counter.

"Good morning," I greeted Aunt Coral, who was busy preparing another cup of coffee. Her black hair was tied in a messy bun as usual.

"Just put the papers there, dear," she told me, pointing to the counter. "And can you do me a favor by pulling Natalie out of her bed?"

"Sure thing," I replied, putting down the papers before heading upstairs. Their house was on the second and third floor of this small building; the bookshop filled the bottom floor.

I skipped along to Nat's room. She was the only girl in the family, so she had a separate room. With a broken lock on the door, I easily made my way inside.

Checking my reflection in the mirror that was beside her window, I combed my deep blonde hair that hung a little above my shoulders. After that, I pulled the curtains up, and the sunlight instantly found its way inside Natalie's room, lightening every corner, including her bed.

With the sunshine directly landing on her face, she groaned, "Mom... just a few more minutes. It's summer vacation."

"Get up, Nat!" I sat, bouncing on her bed. "You need to watch the store today."

She lazily opened her eyes and muttered, "Anna?"

"Yup, up and here early in the morning!" I said, stretching out my arms and collapsing on the bed beside her.

"Why are you here so early?" she asked, facing me. She yawned, and I shoved away her morning breath. Seeing me being thrown back by her breath, she let out some more and laughed.

I turned away. "Stop with those deadly breaths."

"Live with it." She grinned wickedly.

"You're disgusting," I said, laughing. "And to answer your question, when I'd delivered the morning papers, Aunt Coral suddenly decided that you should get up early today. So she sent me here."

After examining me, she asked, "You hate it, don't you? Delivering the papers."

With a sigh, I could only imagine doing otherwise. "Yeah, I do. But I still need to do this in order to earn some money."

She lay on her back and counted her fingers, as she enumerated, "I don't get it. You have someone who sends you money every month, and he can obviously give you anything you ask for. You finished high school without worrying about a cent. So why are you still doing all these jobs?"

"College," I answered, getting up. Looking back to her, I added, "I want to go to college."

She also got up, crossing her arms. "Why can't you just ask him to help you get into college? He's really rich, plus I think he has so many connections. He can easily get you into any university you want."