Chapter 14 Φ

Chapter 14 Φ

Putting the brown envelope in my bag, I headed back to our old house. Whatever made me think that Zander was Mr. Steve? I had no idea. I guessed I was starting to be suspicious of everyone who was related to my mysterious benefactor.

But Zander left me something there; he said that he would tell Mr. Steve that I said hi. It could only mean that he personally knew him, and Mr. Steve was not just his dad's friend. They might even be acquainted.

With a frustrated sigh, I knew that I should forget it and focus on other things. I finally got a possible scholarship, and so far, it looked promising. Mr. Steve's identity shouldn't be in any of my priorities. It was a line that I wasn't permitted to cross, yet I kept on testing if I could get a glimpse of what was on the other side. What was the reason why Mr. Steve thoroughly discouraged me from knowing anything about him? What was on that other side?

Rain started falling as I was near our street, so I started to run. Without an umbrella, I secured my duffle bag in front of me and prevented it from getting wet. I saw Aunt Coral's shop as I was running, but I'd decided to go there later.

Catching my breath, I went up our front porch and took shelter from the rain. I dried myself up with my hands, watching the sudden downpour fall just as soon as I got in.

"Safe," I muttered under my breath, as I was unlocking the door.

There was a moment of hesitation before I went ahead and closed the door behind me. A flood of memories came by as I walked in our house, sensing familiarity and remembering the past. It had only been months since I'd moved out of this place, and yet it felt like a long time ago.

I went to my room and took a seat on my bed; it was empty and lonely. Almost cold. Letting my things drop to the wooden floor, I laid down in bed and closed my eyes.

I wanted to be home.

***

Startled and out of breath, I opened my eyes and realized that I'd fallen asleep. I'd dreamed of the day of my mother's burial. I saw Mr. Steve again, his figure against the setting sun. It was bright, and I had to squint my eyes to get a view of him—his silhouette.

"Do I know you?" I asked him.

He waved a hand. "Whatever made you think that?"

Wiping the beads of sweat on my forehead, I got up. The rain had stopped and it was now past one in the afternoon. Looking in my drawer, I found a ponytail. I tied up my hair, straightening my clothes. Stretching out my arms, I let out a yawn. Thirst was building up in my throat, so I fixed myself up and went outside.

The sun was out in the sky, unlike when I came here this morning. Better, I guessed, especially for us who forgot to bring an umbrella. I walked underneath the shade as much as I could help it, until I'd arrived at Aunt Coral's shop.

"Hello?" I asked, wondering why it was left open, but there was no one around. I locked the store's door first, and then I headed to the kitchen. "Anyone home?"

The stove was left open, and the water in the kettle was continuously boiling. I turned off the stove, wondering. Aunt Coral was not the type who would leave things unattended like this, so I began to be curious on what was going on.

"Hello?" I tried again, raising my voice. No one answered, but I heard low whispers coming from the living room. "Natalie? Aunt Coral?"

The murmurs stopped; they must have heard me coming. When I got inside the living room, I saw two familiar faces. One was Aunt Coral. The other was Natalie. They were both surprised, as if they'd seen a ghost in broad daylight.