Chapter 8 Φ

Chapter 8 Φ

After we finished our breakfast, we stood outside the restaurant, deciding where to go. I had told Eric my plans for the day. And a while ago, he'd gladly offered his company. He had completely ditched his morning run, and he said that his classes were in the afternoon, assuring me that he had all the time in the world.

"Shall we find you a place to stay? Or a part-time job? Or Mr. Harold Stevenson?" Eric asked, placing his hands inside the pockets of his jacket.

"Mr. Steve," I simply answered. I knew that I should be looking for a place to live or a job, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head. Why was that house empty? What happened to the one living there? I hoped that he was all right.

"All right. Let's go search for your friend," Eric replied, leading the way. "Do you want to take a cab?"

I shook my head. "I prefer to walk. When I think about it, it's not that far."

"Only you would probably say that," he answered. "Well, this will also count as my morning run... or walk."

"Why do you keep on helping me?"

He smiled at me. "Well, you seem like a good person."

"That doesn't explain anything."

"True. Maybe I'm just returning the favor because you've helped me—"

"Don't use that again," I interrupted.

"I really enjoy your company, Anna. You also got my interest with that empty house and the letters," Eric explained.

"I also enjoy your company, Eric," I said in response, which somewhat made things a little bit awkward. I had a feeling that it didn't come out right. Trying to ease up the mood, I asked, "You're studying in NWU?"

Eric nodded. "Yes, second year law school."

"Oh, that's great," I muttered.

"How about you?" Eric asked me. He examined me closely, saying, "I'm guessing that you're done with high school."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I don't think your aunt will let you go here if that is not the case. So you're also in college?"

"You do have a point. I'm actually fresh out of high school. And one of the reasons why I moved here is that I'm also planning to apply to NWU. Not this year, but maybe the next one."

"Why not this year?"

"I wanted to take the year off and get a job or something. Save up. Look for scolarships," I vaguely explained.

"How's your grades?"

"Why?" I was taken back with his sudden question. He seemed to be serious about what he was asking, so I answered, "They're okay. I graduated with honors."

"Good," he swiftly replied. "I'll back you up to make sure you get in."

I laughed, wondering if he wasn't kidding about this. "If you actually help me get in my dream university, you'll officially be my hero."

"What if I also help you with that scholarship? What does that make me?"

Confused, I answered, "A superhero?"

Eric laughed.

"Enough about that," I said, shoving away the thoughts that were too good to be true, anyway. "We've already arrived, and the house still looks very much empty."