Chapter 13 Φ

Chapter 13 Φ

Dear Mr. Steve,

Greetings from my sick bed! I'm sorry if I wasn't able to answer your letter right away. I really wanted to go to Averns Creek as soon as I've read your reply, but I caught a flu and was not feeling well for almost a week now.

It all started when Julianne came home. She had a cold. I caught it, same with Cassie. Oh, did I mention that we all got sick? Terribly enough, we did.

Cassie's brother had to drive all the way here to check on us, which was kind of sweet. I could see how much he cared for his little sister. He gave us medicines and told us to stay in bed. He checked up on us from time to time. In fact, he just left a while ago.

But we're okay now. Julianne was the first one to report back to work. Cassie is still a bit sick, but she's getting better. I'm also finally feeling better, don't worry. On my way to full recovery!

I hope that English professor is still on a vacation. I could meet him next Wednesday if he's still in Averns Creek. I'm asking Julianne a big favor to drop this in your mailbox. Hope you will get to read it!

Going back to bed,

Chelsea

***

It was seven in the morning when I heard the knock on our front door. Julianne was soundly sleeping. She just got home from her night shift, and it was impossible to wake her up at this hour.

Cassie was in a worse condition than me, so I pulled myself up from bed and went out of my room. Checking through the peephole, I saw a delivery man standing outside the door. Was any of us expecting anything today? At this hour, especially.

"Delivery for Ms. Chelsea Lovette?" the delivery man readily said when he saw me. He was holding a card envelope in his hand and a bouquet of white daisies.

I blinked. "Yes, that's me."

He took out his electronic receiving device. "Please sign here."

"Sure," I replied, confused why I was receiving these early this morning. Who were they from? But as I was looking at the card in his hand, a name came into mind. It didn't made sense, though. Wondering, I asked the delivery man, "Who is the sender?"

"It's Mr. Harold Stevenson," the delivery man confirmed, handing the flowers to me.

It was him. But, how? Why? What was the occasion?

"Did you see him when you picked this up?"

"I'm not sure," the delivery man replied, scratching the back of his neck. "I think it was his secretary."

"Why did you say so?"

"He was wearing a nameplate of..." he hesitated.

I narrowed my eyes with suspicion. "Where did you pick this up?"

He shook his head, as if clearing his thoughts. "I cannot disclose it, ma'am. I'm sorry."

"I see," I said, giving up. Confidentiality, of course. So I let him off the hook. "Well, thank you."

"Have a nice day!" he replied with a kind smile, lifting his cap.

I locked the door and sat on the couch, placing the bouquet of flowers on the coffee table. I had to read the card twice to see if it was really from Mr. Steve.

It was only last night when I had asked Julianne for a favor, which also ended up with me telling her and Cassie about my mysterious benefactor. After a while of hesitation, Julianne had agreed to drop the letter into Mr. Steve's mailbox, only because I was too sick to do it and she didn't believe it would actually reach him.