A New Perspective

I firmly believe that the word "disability" is used for lack of a better term. "Dis" is a prefix for the word not so in a way the word has this illusion tapped across that people with disabilities are "not able." Learning disabilities, processing disorders, and even autism has nothing to do with "not being able" to do something when in many ways that's not the case. People with learning/processing disorders having nothing wrong with them in my personal opinion. All of these people simply have a different way of getting their information, of using the brain.

Think of it this way, the world is a right handed world. Everything is designed for a right handed person, from scissors, to notebooks, to desks. Even your computer mouse is designed for a right handed person. There's nothing wrong with being left handed, (unless you're from the 1800's in which case if your left handed you'd be considered a which) just like there's nothing wrong with being dyslexic or having VPD (visual processing disorder), autism, etc. The world is designed for a specific brain type and I have to work ten times harder than anyone else, because I'm not that brain type.

You know what? I'm fine with that. With not being like everyone else. Not thinking like everyone else. If everyone thought the same nothing would get done and we'd still be banging rocks up against our head. This is the really cool thing about being LD (Learning Disability), your brain functions differently. You're using certain parts of your brain less while using other parts more. Look up inventors, presidents, even writers and you'll find many of them had some form of a disability. There are as many gifts to your disability as there are challenges, and your challenges will only make you stronger at the end of the day.