Chapter Two , It's Just An Old House

The family woke up to a rainy day on their new homestead. Sharon is in their new kitchen making chocolate chip pancakes and freshly brewed  coffee. Still wearing her purple robe.
"Morning Mommy!" Said Jewel in a sleepy tone. Her ringlets were frizzy and all over the place.
"Morning honey, here are your pancakes." Said Sharon handing her daughter a plate.
"Yay chocolate chip!" Shouted Jewel with excitement.
Sharon sips her coffee and stares out her kitchen window that overlooked their massive driveway.  Each hour passes she admired the peace and quiet that Harlowe had to offer. Well until she could hear her husband's heavy footsteps tramping down the stairs.
"Good morning my pretties." Shouted Raymond as he walked into the kitchen, and sat across the round table with their daughter.
"Ohhhhhh chocolate chip." Moaned Raymond, practically drooling on his plate.
"Hey babe, can we tag team on this unpacking thing?" Asked Sharon.
"Of course dear". Said Raymond bending down kissing his wife.
The couple smiled at each other and devoured their pancakes. Sharon started cleaning up the kitchen mess while Raymond started unpacking and rearranging their living room. Boxes were chaotic. He sorted through a few boxes, and moved all the unused junk to the basement. The basement was an old cement dungeon. It was dark and musty. Raymond looked around and found a few odds and ends from the previous owner. He even found an old run down piano. Raymond turned off the light and decided to walk back upstairs to start organizing some more. A couple hours passed and he took a break from unpacking and organizing. He decided to draw out some homestead plans. He wanted everything to be perfect for chickens, goats and a work horse.
"Sharon I'm going to the hardware store." Hollered Raymond up the stairs to his wife.
He heard a faint "Okay honey." From Sharon.  Raymond took off in his Ford Windstar, and drove up the driveway. He suddenly found an older gentleman walking along the side of the road, soaked from the drizzle.
"Excuse me sir, where do you need to go?" Asked Raymond out of the passenger window.
"Northbrook to the hardware store." Said the older man.
" Hop in." Said Raymond unlocking the passenger door.
The older fellow thanked him as he climbed in the van.
"What a mighty fine van you got there." Said the man.
"Why thank you. By the way I'm Raymond Marone." Said Raymond introducing himself to this complete stranger.
" I'm Herbert. But Herb is short."
Herbert had short white hair and dark blue eyes. Always wore an orange Boundary Creek hat. He was a kind old soul.
"How old are you Raymond?" Asked Herbert.
"I'm thirty two" chuckled Raymond.
"Sorry for asking, it's just I'm not used to young people in these parts." Laughed Herbert. 
Raymond finally arrived at the little hardware store. Raymond bought some lumber and a few extra tools he lacked. He helped Herbert with his shopping and the two decided to make a last minute trip to the grocery store. Raymond called Sharon to let her know a guest was attending dinner.
Back at home Sharon is working hard in her daughter's room. Unpacking boxes and breaking down  cardboard for their upcoming bonfire this week. Sharon began tackling her daughter's clothes, by folding them and placing them in the white dresser. Jewel decided to unpack her dolls and princess tea set.
"You can't have a tea party without your table." Said Sharon to her daughter. Her mama pulled out the table pieces from the biggest box, and started putting her table together.
"There..all done." Said Sharon pushing her daughter's table in front of the bedroom window.
Sharon grabbed all the broken down cardboard boxes and neatly stacked them by the front door for burn day. Sharon decided to walk to the kitchen and brew herself another cup of coffee. She could hear Jewel upstairs playing in her room. Suddenly she heard her name being whispered in her ear. Sharon jumped and quickly spun around to find the source of the whisper. She walked to the base of the stairs to have a listen. But she could only hear her Jewel playing all alone.
Sharon noticed Raymond pulling up the driveway , and put the coffee pot on. She noticed a passenger next to Raymond.
"That must be our guest." Thought Sharon to herself.
"Honey I'm home!" Raymond Shouted as he barged through the door wet from the rain. Herbert trailed in behind him.
"Sharon, I would like you to meet Herbert." Said Raymond.
"HI there I'm Sharon Marone" greeted Sharon, shaking Herbert's hand.
The two shook hands and exchanged smiles.
"I would like for you to meet our daughter."Said Raymond to his new neighbour.
"Jewel Jacinda, come down here please!" Hollered Sharon up the stairs.
Jewel barreled down the stairs, wild hair bouncing.
" Honey,  I would like for you to meet our new neighbour Herbert." Said Raymond bending over to his daughter.
Herb took one look at Jewel, and immediately was infatuated with her. Her vibrant blue eyes and vibrant red hair were captivating.
" nice to meet you Jewel." Said Raymond.
Sharon started dinner while Jewel, Raymond and their guest Herbert sat around the kitchen table.
" say Jewel, what is your favourite animal?" Asked Herbert.
"HORSES!" Jumped Jewel.
Herb bent over and whispered "me too".
"So Herb, how long have you lived Here? " Asked Sharon while cooking steaks.
"Since birth ma'am." Said Herbert.
The family had a wonderful evening with their new friend Herbert. The Marone family truly enjoyed his company. Raymond drove Herb home to spare him from getting soaked from the pouring rain, but he finally returned. Jewel got her teeth brushed and climbed in bed after saying goodnight to her parents. Sharon decided to sit downstairs in the living room to check her Facebook, while Raymond was upstairs fiddling around in their bedroom. Raymond came across a boarded up room that he had found in their walk in closet. Board by board the was closer to a discover in his own home. The final board was pried off the mysterious door. A big gust of cold, foul air blew through Raymond's body, and left a bone chilling sensation. But despite the feeling Raymond managed to turn the old light bulb on.
"God only knows when the last time this room was lit up." Said Raymond choking on dust.
Raymond froze in fear for the room had a very dark feeling that had been brewing in that very room. On the hardwood floor there was an odd symbol in faded red paint. And around the symbol there were old dusty half melted candles.
"Sweet Jesus." Stammered Raymond to himself.
He kept poking around their mysterious attic, turned over a few trinkets, and a few other odds and ends. Until something in an old board game on the shelf, caught his eye.
"This looks cool!" Said Raymond to himself.
Raymond took a picture of the strange symbol that was painted on the floor. He wanted to know what the symbol meant. He made his way downstairs to his wife, and showed her the pictures from his phone.
"What the Fuck? " mumbled Sharon.
"This was in the boarded up door, in our closet." Said Raymond.
Sharon had a look of terror on her face. Suddenly she was blasted with a migraine and bloody nose.
"Oh my God babe!" Shouted Raymond grabbing his wife a face cloth.
She managed to get the bleeding to stop and her pain dissipated. 
That was something the Marone's thought was unusual.