Chapter Eleven, The Discovery

Thunder rolled throughout the sky, clouds as black as night. Rain pelting the shingle roof of the Marone homestead, the storm's electricity fueled the entities in the house and on the land. Horses galloped in the rain to run from the storm. Jewel was bouncing around outside, wearing her yellow rain coat and boots, splashing through the deep puddles. Raymond, Sharon and Nicholas were hanging around in the kitchen that morning. Sharon staring at her banged up reflection with her cell phone camera in "selfie mode."
"How am I even alive Ray?" Mumbled Sharon looking at herself some more.
"Baby please... please stop looking at your face. You are beautiful as ever my love." Assured Raymond kissing her hand.
Baby Nicholas was sitting in his high chair covered with strawberry jam from the toast he had this morning. Crumbs strung through his thin Auburn hair.
"Sharon, our daughter did something completely incredible last night. She brought you back from your coma state." Started Raymond.
Sharon could see tears pooling in her brave husband's brown eyes all over again, for he was clearly an emotional wreck. The couple look out their kitchen  table, and noticed their daughter finally riding her pony.
"Aww she managed to saddle her." Gushed Sharon.
Raymond felt an overwhelming sense of pride filling his soul down to the heart. He was so proud of his daughter. Her wet frizzy hair bounced as she galloped with her Welsh pony.
Raymond embraced his wife tightly, and soaked all her love in. Suddenly Herb walked through the front door with rain dripping off his coat.
"Morning folks!" Greeted Herb with a big smile. He walked into the kitchen and noticed the three scratches on Sharon's face. He immediately knew what created that.
"Oh my Sharon! Are you alright?" Asked Herbert with concern.
"I'm fine Herbert... really." Assured Sharon while siding her green tea.
"Here's a cup of tea Herbert. " Said Raymond handing his neighbour a warm mug.
"So Sharon did you actually burn the ouiji board? Are you positive?" Drilled Raymond.
"Well of course I did Raymond! You WATCHED Me!" Answered Sharon with a frustrated tone to her tired voice.
Raymond walked over to the kitchen cupboard and pulled the same worn ouiji board with the same chipped planchette.
"Where in God's name did you find that Raymond?!" Demanded Sharon.
"When you were attacked last night,  I found it underneath the crib. I didn't know what to think about it honestly because I did see you burn the damn thing." Said Raymond.
The trio sat around the table in silence. Sharon knew she needed to find some help, but she didn't want the whole community of Harlowe to gossip about her issues.
"Ray.....I think we need to get help. If this creature could harm me like this... then.. well it could hurt the kids." Stammered Sharon.
"What you guys need to do, is go to the Northbrook library and dig up some information about your land." Suggested Herbert.
"But my animals.." Started Raymond.
"I can take care of them."  Assured Herbert to the stressed family.
"Thank you for your kindness Herbert." Spoke Sharon softly.
"No problem Mrs.Marone." smiled Herb.
Sharon immediately packed a picnic lunch for their journey to town.  They no longer had their van for they traveled with their horses instead.
"Come on Jewel, we gotta go." Called Raymond who finished saddling the other horses for the ride.
"Where are we going daddy?" Asked Jewel.
"To town. The rain has let up so now is our time to go." Ushered Raymond.
Sharon walked out the front door with baby Nicholas in the Moby wrap, and the basket in her right hand.
"Alright, let's do this." Sighed Sharon.
The family trotted down their long wooded driveway to head to the little town of Northbrook. After and hour's ride, they finally arrived safely. They left their horses tied off at the community watering tub so the horses could have a drink.
"This really is nothing like Toronto." Chuckled Raymond.
The family spent two hours diving through books and computers until they finally came across an old record book from the eighteen hundreds.

               "  A Brutal Murder Of 1873  "
                Local man Edward Cuttingham
                murdered wife and daughter
                Elizabeth and Isabel Cuttingham.
                Edward's suicide followed after.

Sharon found the old family photo that was clipped to the article. Her heart sank for the girls that had been murdered. Sharon continued to read the other article in regards to the autopsy of the daughter. 
"Sexualy assaulted by her own Father!" Read Sharon a little too loud.
She heard a small hush sound from the librarian behind her desk. Sharon photocopied the article and the old family photo. She knew immediately that the same man still lingered on the property, tormenting his own family as well as the Marone family.
She searched the entire library for her Raymond,  Jewel and Nicholas. She caught up with her family at the outside water fountain that was loaded with dimes and nickels.
"There you are!" Called Sharon.
"Did you find everything?" Asked Raymond.
"Yes. But I'm going over the findings once we get back to the house." Said Sharon.
The family mounted their horses and set off homeward bound, so she could go over the discovery.
Herb was loading hay in the horse pasture for when the creatures returned to feed. He always enjoyed helping the Marone's on their homestead because he didn't have enough acres to have his own animals. He heard the sound of clipping hooves hitting the driveway. Little Jewel galloped in the lead with her Welsh pony, with her parents following her closely with their paints. They rode their horses straight to the pasture so the horses could relax and feed.
"Well did you guys find anything?" Inquired Herbert.
"As a matter of fact Herbert,  we did. But I will go over them inside." Insisted Sharon.
"Jewel darling.. you need to either play in your room. Or play out here okay?" Asked  Sharon.
"Yes mommy." Replied Jewel. She ran to the tire swing to play while her parents talked about adult business.
"Okay so spill it Sharon. What did you find?" Asked Herbert rapidly tapping his old hands on the kitchen counter.
Sharon pulled out the article and the old photo and laid them out to display on the granite counter.
"Sweet Jesus. " Gasped Herbert, his hand covering his mouth.
"He did this to his own family?" Asked Raymond with disbelief on his face.
"Unfortunately it is true. If he did this to his own family, God only knows what kind of havoc he would unleash on us." Said Sharon to her fearful husband.