Unexpected Revelations

"Where are we going?" I asked, and then I remembered who I was with so I added "Dad". 

He smiled, "My study, dear. As I said, I'm going to introduce you to someone." He replied excitedly.

"And who might that be?" I asked, walking beside him now, two of my personal maids behind us.

"You'll see." He said again as he winked at me. I smiled timidly in return. I wasn't used to this close proximity with my dad. Usually he's sitting behind a desk. Not paying attention to what I was saying, and signing papers here and there. He was rarely home, he was never a father to me, not even when my mother was still alive. He only comes to pick me up for a gathering with his colleagues, and he only does things for the sake of his company. In short he is selfish. I can't believe when people ask me questions about him I even have the guts to defend my father. I guess I'm just a sucker for media. I mean I am a skater; I am the daughter of the owner of seventy three companies and business enterprises. My father has a large share in the stock market. The Sparks are popular, and we value our status too much. I guess I got my selfishness from him. My mother would not have been that bad.

I sighed; I hope this meeting would be short. If my father wants me to go with him to that gathering, then I would need some prep time.

Bernard went ahead and opened the doors for us. My father and I bid a silent thank you at him. Then my dad sent the maids to go back to their quarters if not their designated posts.

We walked into his study to be greeted by a young man I assumed to be just in his twenties.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Leander." my father smiled at the guy as if he was some superstar. I just stood behind my dad, wishing that I was invisible. But unfortunately the new guy can see invisible people.

"Good Afternoon, Miss Jeannelle. It's nice to finally meet you." He said as he took my hand and gave it a swift kiss. I could hear a bit of a British accent in the way he speaks. I cringed a little bit; I am so not used to people taking my hand and drawing it close to their face. I have this weird feeling that they're going to devour my hand. I tugged my hand away as he rose.

"Oh how rude of me," My father exclaimed, "Jeannelle, this is Ethan Van Leander Rivers, son of my dear friend John Michael Rivers, owner of a big company in Europe. Do you remember Michael, Jeannelle?" he asked me.

I racked my brain for a second trying to remember the man "Uh... Yes. I think he's the one who got me a beautiful dress when I turned ten." I murmured, still smiling. I proceeded to speak to keep my dad from commenting if what I remembered was wrong.

I turned to the guy in front of me "Nice to meet you, you have a very long name. Would you mind if I just called you Ethan?" I asked while I was taking in his astounding features. He was tall, hazelnut colored hair, eyes the color of a clear blue sky, he was wearing an expensive looking suit. No wonder my dad knows him. His father probably owns a huge company like ours and my father needs something from them that's why he's introducing him to me. I am just a tool of his anyway. It's always like this when a huge amount of money is involved.

"No, I don't mind at all. In fact I've been waiting for someone to call me by my first name." he said heartily, exposing a perfect set of white teeth as he smiled.