Chapter 4

I sprinted on the sidewalk towards Maria's house. As I stood in her front yard, panting, I noticed that Maria's room on the first floor was still lit, and light flooded from the window onto the yard. I decided to climb up the drain pipe to her room, since I had the flare for dramatic and also because I didn't want Mrs. Jonas calling up my mother at this hour to complain of her daughter's arrival. I made mental notes of footholds and ledges to her room.

A few minutes later, I had hiked up my duffel bag at my shoulders and was climbing up the drain pipe. Needless to say I slipped many times. I would definitely like an award for my efforts. Finally after what seemed like eternity I braced myself onto Maria's window and knocked. The window swing open. So much for safety. Maria was flopped onto her bed on her stomach, her feet facing me. Her white earphones dangling from her ears. That girl wouldn't notice if a meteor hit the earth and it was blasted to pieces. She'd float in vast space listening to her crappy playlist not knowing her home planet is no more. Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little. I mean, let's face it, she wouldn't be alive anymore. Nor would her earphones. That's a pleasant thought.

I jumped in and yelped as my feet landed on something squishy, followed by a cat-shriek. Did I mention Maria had a Siamese cat, called Drippy? Yeah, don't tell me. Drippy leaped onto the bed and jumped over Maria, glaring daggers at me. If looks could kill...
Maria turned her head and saw me, her eyes widening. They were so large, I was sure they would fall right off her face any minute now.
"Cindy!" she whisper-shouted.
"What are you doing here?" She asked me standing up.
"Here as in this world, or here as in your room?" I asked. She made a face.
"I'm visiting, duh!" I rolled my eyes, feeling very smart. Maria narrowed her eyes at me.
"Alright. I was having some problems at home, so I came here to clear my mind. Is that okay with you?" I asked. She stared at me for a while, then shook her head and gave me a soft smile.
"Of course." She turned away, and I thought I saw tears in her eyes. I should lay off chocolate for a while, I've started to hallucinate.

She cleared up her bed and put two pillows on it. She patted to her right as she lay down on her bed, motioning me to come lie down and start the story. I began explaining her the situation in my house and what happened tonight...