Chapter 1: A surge of hope

The first day of highschool is always described as nerve-wracking, yet exciting for many. However, this was always an interesting concept to Yukiko. Never had she thought of places filled with many people to be exciting. Nonetheless, if she attended highschool, perhaps that would keep her away from her abusive mom. Not that she really cared for her mom's abusive tendencies anyways. She was used to it, and she has endured all the pain there is on the earth. But was it really her who endured this pain?

The day was a bright one, and the breeze blew through Yukiko's long black hair, which has not been cut for many years. As she was nearing the entrance gates of her school, perhaps for just a second, a rush of adrenaline ran through her body. It left as abruptly as it had come. At the same time, a short ginger male approached her.

"Hello there! What's your name? My name is Hinata Shouyou! Nice to mee-"

"Go away." Her words are as cold as ice. Hinata stood there, bewildered, yet intrigued. He wanted to find out more about her. His curiosity would change her life forever.

First class was math, a subject Yukiko never failed to do with ease. Her mother had always forced her to do endless worksheets to keep her occupied, while she drank the nights away. The only difficult part about math class was its people. But what really ruined her day was when she saw a boy around her height, with orange, spiky hair. Her heart sank when he approached her and sat next to her. All throughout class, she had to listen to his pathetic dreams about volleyball. Hinata had many failed in attempts in befriending Yukiko. He thought maybe if he shared his passions with her, she would open up to him. What he did not understand was that she never opened up to anyone.

Hinata never gave up. He tried every last resort of his until finally he said, "Would you like to come with me to check out the volleyball club afterschool?"

Yukiko, without thinking too much eventually agreed with much reluctance. She thought that maybe if she went with him this one time, he could shut up. That maybe she wouldn't need to return home so early and fall victim to her mom's daily beatings. But perhaps those were not the only reasons for her agreeing. After all, Hinata was the first person her age to ever be this kind to her, in ten years.

She even felt a tiny surge of hope when he approached her that morning.