new one - part 3

warnings: ehh... none :) but as always, the characters' ages are accurate except enoch who is as old as he was portrayed in the mphfpc movie

y/n and enoch. those two.

they had been spending too much time together for anyone to comprehend. mis peregrine was, of course, delighted that enoch had found someone he had opened up to. and she was relieved that y/n finally had peace here. she had noticed the young telekinetic girl wasn't nervous or bad-like giddy-ish like she was when she first came, continuing until her and enoch.... made themselves official.

miss peregrine had never seen enoch smile. from the day he had came to cairnholm, enoch had never smiled or shown any type of joy to her or anybody else. sarcastic comments and hateful glares or long silences were always his way to show he was among the peculiar children. somehow they got along with enoch, but he didn't care.

y/n had been encouraging him to talk more and not be so unsocial with others and it somehow worked. everyone wondered how it could be - they thought nobody could break enoch's sour look on life. y/n was proud of herself for being the one to change enoch. well, not exactly him, but his attitude.

they fit together so perfectly - heads always close, whispering to each other and giggling. they were constantly spending time together, and they spent more time outside, y/n actually brought enoch along to the daily walk. rarely were the lovebirds alone. they looked very lovely at every given moment, everyone was happy for them.

y/n and enoch were now sitting under a tree fiona grew out especially for them. y/n was laying between enoch's legs with her back against his chest and a book in her hands. she held it out for the both of them to read. it was john green's paper towns.

"why have you underlined that sentence there?" enoch asked, disturbing the - perhaps - silence.

y/n eyes wondered down to where the boy's slender finger was pointing. "well, i like that quote."

"why?" he questioned. "can you read it out for me?"

"okay." y/n cleared her throat. "...leaving feels good and pure only when you leave something important, something that mattered to you. pulling life out by the roots. but you can't do that until your life has grown roots."

encoh hummed. "it does sound nice." he went silent, he was thinking. y/n waited. "does it mean anything to you?"

"uhm..." y/n paused. "it could, but does it?"

"you mean...?"

"well, i left my parents in my old life when i came, remember?" y/n said, looking at enoch with her head tilted backwards. he nodded. "well, that kind of feels like a grown root now. so, i left them there. or they brought me here, i don't know."

"so, you find that quote very much alike your situation? now or before?" enoch questioned. now y/n nodded. "does it make you sad? thinking about your parents and your old life?"

"mm." y/n hummed. "sometimes." she turned around, putting down the book. she rested her arms on enoch's chest, her hands on the back of his neck. y/n looked into the boy's eyes. "i miss them sometimes, you know." she said and traced along his sweater neck line with her index finger.

enoch started to feel bad for he brought up the subject about her parents and her old life. he immediately regretted his words and wanted to say something to mend the situation, but y/n was faster than him in that way and spoke up first.