Chapter 4

| Your P.O.V |

Monday..

It was a cold evening and you were walking down the hallways on the way to the kitchen, but all of a sudden you heard sobbing coming from the room beside you with butterfly designs on the door. But when you entered the quarter, you saw Katsumi facing the window, sobbing as if his brain was being shredded from the inside. Emotional pain flowed out of his every pore. From his mouth came a cry from so raw that even you could almost feel his pain.

"Katsumi.." You called, but when Katsumi turned around. You saw blood coating his fingers, face and clothes like caramel over an apple, only brilliant red instead of soft golden browns as he held a bloody knife. He knew he should feel repulsed about it, eager to wash the blood off, but instead he felt a laughter building in his belly.

"Miss [y/n]!" You woke up faster than a cat in ice-water. Your heart was pounding, mind empty. It was as if a hypodermic of adrenaline has been emptied into your carotid. Slowly and reluctantly, you sat up from your seat. You blinked, closed your eyes, and blinked again.

"Oh, sorry. It's just that I didn't sleep well last night" you coldly replied, trying to act sincere. You scanned the classroom, and noticed that being watched by everyone made your breathing rapid and shallow. Not because you felt anxious at the thought of your classmates staring at you, but the fact that your teacher has always enjoyed humiliating students in class. 'I mean what's the big deal if somebody wants to sleep?' you thought.

"No excuses! Leave the room this instant! You are also not allowed to enter until my class ends" Mr. Sou, your Science teacher shouted. You clenched your fists and jaw in aggravation. You wanted to talk back, but you couldn't do it and not in front of everybody. You sat on your seat with furrowed brows as everyone began talking about you. Until Kazuki raised his arm to get everyone's attention, saving you.

"What is it this time, Kazuki?" Mr. Sou turned his head to the left side of the classroom, intently staring at Kazuki who sat next to the window at the back of the room. Your teacher's dark eyes glared at him with an intensity that tightened your chest.

"You know, you shouldn't kick her out of class. She spent the whole night working on the science project you told us to make. I mean, can't you at least listen to the other side of the story, sir?" Kazuki flashed a smile at him that just seemed so genuinely sweet, though his smile was rather different than you usually see everyday.

Apparently everyone in class who also worked hard for the project agreed with Kazuki. Fury blurred your teacher's sight, but he only tightened his jaw and ignored your stepbrother, finally leaving you alone and so the lesson continued. You turned around to Kazuki's seat and mouthed a thank you to him, but his response was only a wink. A few hours later, bell rang the classes have ended. You grabbed your belongings on your desk and put it in your bag as everyone else left the room.

"Hey, [y/n]. Would you like to walk home together? I don't feel like riding in that stupid car for now" Kazuki asked, sitting down on the chair beside yours as he hung his black bag over his left shoulder, waiting for you to finish taking your things back into your bag.

"Ahh sure. I could get some fresh air. I really wanted to hit Mr. Sou earlier, but I couldn't do it.. What do you expect? I'm nice haha-" you awkwardly laughed as you lightly scratched your cheek. "I just slept in class, everyone else does it and why did he attack me? Sheesh.. I guess that fat old teacher really does enjoy embarrassing female students.. He disgusts me.." you told him with a pout, rolling your eyes to the other side.

"Well, I agree with you a hundred percent. He looks like a pervert- or maybe is he?" Kazuki flashed a big, welcoming smile as he playfully ruffled your hair which annoyed you.

"Hey, you haven't washed your hands since earlier this morning.. You could have at least brought some damn alcohol" you jokingly spoke then slapped his hand away as you were making a distorted look of disgust and amusement on your face, but he didn't mind.

After putting your stuff into your bag, the both of you walked your way out of school while conversing with each other. Once you stepped out of the schoolgrounds, you saw a group of teenagers across the street, two of them looking like they'd grown too much too soon. The others weren't so thin, at least one sporting some pre-growth spurt chub, until you noticed that Katsumi was there.

"Is that Katsumi?" You pointed, but Kazuki didn't pay attention because he was fiddling with his phone. You noticed that Katsumi's uniform was different from when he left the house. His collar was unbuttoned and his sleeves were rolled up, his tie hanging loosely and the way he walked was delinquent like.

"Hey, [y/n]. Hurry up! It's starting to rain!" Kazuki suddenly spoke, giving you a [f/c] colored raincoat and grabbed your hand, holding onto it and intertwined his fingers with yours. You ran along with him for at least a minute. The rain floats in gentle waves, as if gravity is a soft music from the Earth, a sweet beckoning serenade. You two stopped outside a bakery shop, and Kazuki didn't have any coat nor jacket with him so he got wet.

"Why didn't you bring your umbrella again? You're wet now because of me! Seriously.. You should always be prepared at times like this! Aghhh- why did I accidentally leave my umbrella in school? I'm so stupid.." You hit your own forehead with your palm and used the other to punch Kazuki on the shoulder, though you weren't mad at him, you were worried. The wet ground was cold under foot. You stepped off the path and into the shaggy grass and so did Kazuki as you felt the squelch of the mud beneath. He placed his hand on your head, telling you that it was fine.

"It's also your fault for forgetting your umbrella, so it's not entirely my fault" Kazuki scoffed, crossing his arms and looking over to you. "I don't mind getting wet from the rain. It's because I didn't want to see you get soaked either because of me" Kazuki responded in a soft tone that felt like it gave warmth to the cold breeze. The both of you smiled, because in that moment, the water and the light had become a golden flower, an echo of life bursting into the night, until you saw Kou at the other side of the street, blankly staring at you.

Kou's sharp and cold stare came just enough to send chills down to your spine. His intent gaze looked as if it was filled with hatred. His oceanic green eyes were hard-rimmed and fixed on the both of you, so much so that it seemed like he was no longer able to move his eyeballs, like they had rusted into place.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

I hope this chapter exceeded to your expectations. I think that something is missing. What do you think?

~ yandere-kun •ω•