~Ch 2~

Hi friends! So I know I'm going slow but you know finals and junk. It's pretty rough. I'll try to post as much as possible and please tell your friends about this book!

I make my way to the back of the classroom and sit myself down next to Nathan. I pretend not to notice the dirty looks he is shooting my way. He continues to glare at me while I go over the assignment. Basically, we have to create a country including all the elements of a civilization.

"So, Nathan," I begin trying to start a conversation, "did you have any ideas for the project?"

He just scowls at me and rolls his eyes.

"So, uh how come I haven't talked to you before?" I ask refusing to give up on this conversation.

"Probably because I try my best to avoid you." He states matter-a-factly.

     I was completely taken back by this. No one ever says something mean to me. No one has ever disliked me. How do I respond to that? I decide to be nice anyway. If he hates me, then I will make him like me or at least tolerate me.

"Uh why exactly have you been trying to avoid me?"

He rolls his eyes yet again "It doesn't matter let's just get this stupid project done and we won't ever have to talk to each other again."

I was quite taken back by this, "But what if I want to talk to you?"

"Then too bad. Can we work at your house tonight after school?" He stated more than asked not seeming at all embarrassed to be inviting himself to my house.

      I just nodded and before I could respond the bell rang and he got out of that class as quickly as he could. I don't understand. Did I do something to him? I don't even know him how could I hurt his feelings? Ugh. It's hard not being liked. I finally got through my other classes and got to lunch.

     I sat at my table next to Coleman. I smiled in greeting and some of my other friends sat around me as the other kids stared enviously. It didn't feel as good as usual though. I just could not get over the fact that someone didn't like me. Of course, Coleman noticed something was wrong.

"Ok, tell me what happened." He said giving me a look.

"Nothing!" He raised eyebrows at me, "Ok so maybe something did happen. This kid Nathan in my social studies class got partnered with me in a project and he was not happy. He said he didn't like me." I told him getting slightly upset.

     Everyone at the table looked at me in pure awe. I can't blame them. This was news. Everybody likes me in this school. When someone doesn't, it is quite a surprise to say the least.

"Well did you ask him why?" Coleman asks trying to be supportive.

"Yeah. He wouldn't answer me. I have to work with him after school too. I don't know how I'm supposed to hang out with someone who hates me. No one ever hates me. Why does he hate me?" I ramble in frustration.

"It will be fine, Hope. He probably just doesn't like you because he is jealous or he just hates everyone. You're amazing and only an idiot would hate you." Coleman says with a sincere smile.

"Thanks, Coleman. Love you." I say in a sibling way.

I give him a hug and when I look up I notice every one glaring at Coleman. Ugh. Why is everybody so annoying? All the guys don't like Coleman because they think that we like each other as more than best friends. All the girls get mad because they want to be my best friend.

     I feel really bad for him sometimes. No one ever thinks of him as an individual person but just as Hope's best friend. People either are jealous of our friendship or don't notice him at all. I make a mental note to talk to him about it later. I need to get him to make some more friends.

"So I guess I actually have to deal with this kid then." I say kind of hoping Coleman will give me a reason not to.

"Yep. Suck it up, Hope." Ugh, thanks for the help bestie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I hear a ring at my doorbell and mentally prepare myself for the disaster I'm surely inviting through my door. I am regretting letting Nathan come to my house. He hates me a lot. What if he chops me up with an axe and hides me in the walls like in Jumanji? What if he sets my house on fire with me trapped inside? Okay, maybe not that. Simmer down, Hope. You will be fine.

     I open the door to see an angry looking Nathan. I literally have not even spoken a word to him yet. How can he possibly already be annoyed with me? I choose to ignore it and be super nice to him anyways. As Ghandi once said, kill em with kindness. Just kidding that was Selena Gomez.

"Hey Nathan. It's nice to see you."

"Wish I could say the same. Now let's get this over with." He says as I stare at him in shock. "Today would be nice."

     I reluctantly let him into my house. He immediately makes himself at home and sits down at my dining room table, sprawling all of his books out with him. I slowly make my way towards him contemplating wether or not getting a good grade is worth dealing with him.

"So Natha-"

"Ok stop right there. You aren't in charge of this project. I am. I know you are used to all your little minions doing everything you want without a second thought but I'm not going to treat you like royalty just because you are popular." Nathan says as if it's obvious. He then looks back at his rubric as if he didn't just crush my soul.

"Why do you hate me so much?" I ask. Way to be subtle Hope.

"Why?" I repeat when he doesn't respond or even glance up. "Today was literally the first day I've spoken to you so it's not like I hurt your feelings at some point. I have never done anything to you."

He finally looks at me. "You just don't get it Hope. You have everything. Looks, talent, intelligence, personality, money, popularity. I don't have any of that. I'm jealous because not only are you better than all of us but you don't act like it. You are still so nice to everyone. It's not fair. How can you be so perfect and popular and I'm just an ugly, awkward nobody?"

"You're not ugly. You're a little awkward but I believe that awkward people are the best because they make everyone else seem cool." I whisper in a lame attempt to respond to his outburst.

"Yeah right. If that was true maybe I would be more like you."

     Woah. He didn't actually not like me. He was just jealous of me. I don't know wether to be relieved or sad. I mean relieved because he doesn't hate me but sad because he feels that bad about his own life. It just stinks to know I made him feel bad just by being me. I wish I could fix it. Wait. Oh my gosh!!!

"Nathan! I have the best idea ever!" I basically screech getting much too excited. I try my best to compose myself. "Okay, so you want to be well known and liked right?"

He nods," More or less."

"Yes! Boy, I have big plans for you!"

     What did you think? I am really feeling this book. Once again sorry for the prolonged gaps in between chapters but I will try my hardest. In a lot of books people put goals for reads and votes and things like that at the end of chapters but I don't think I'm cool enough for that yet. Oh well. My goal is more reads than 15 because that's pretty pathetic.

Love you all❤️❤️❤️