~Ch 5~

"AIDEN YOU ARE SO BIG!!!!" I scream as loud as humanly possible.

Aiden Dunn. He is the absolute cutest little boy I have ever met in my entire life. He has got red hair like Coleman and they look almost identical. Except for Coleman is sporting a pair of glasses because he is almost blind and Aiden has hearing aids because he is almost completely deaf.

Aiden's whole family learned sign language so they could talk to him easier. I learned it as well so I wouldn't feel left out and because I couldn't not talk to my favorite boy. He can kind of read lips now so I don't need to sign to him as much but Aiden likes it when people can understand him.

Aiden and Cole are my two favorite boys in the world. I love them more than anything. That is why I have decided not to like Coleman and to pretend I don't notice he likes me. It's just too weird. We are like brother and sister and I just can't do it.

So at Aiden's party I am going to pretend like nothing has happened and hopefully it will all go away. Today is all about my little guy and I am not about to let his adorable big brother ruin it. Don't flip. Adorable in a best friend/ brother way.

"HOPE!" Aiden violently signs at me. Ha. I love emotional sign language.

"Aiden!" I say slowly so he can read my lips. "Happy birthday little buddy! I can't believe you are already 5 years old. I remember when you were born and now you are going to school this year!"

"I'm getting taller too!" He signs back trying to prove just how big he is getting. "And I lost a tooth!"

"You did not!" I exclaim in fake surprise, though he does not detect the fake part.

"I might have to quit calling you my little buddy."

We go on like this for a good ten minutes. Even though our conversations are often pointless, I could talk to this kid for days. Why can't I find an awesome guy like him? But you know. Less five.

I see Coleman coming over and I can't help but want to escape. Dang it! The whole point of pretending I didn't think he liked me was so it wouldn't be awkward. Me desperately trying to get away when I see him is pretty awkward and just might defeat the purpose of this whole thing.

     I don't know what to do so I pray. Tons. I silently pray that I won't ruin our friendship by saying something stupid. Have you ever watched Forest Gump? You know that part where Jenny repeats 'dear god, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away' over and over?

     That's basically what I am doing. Except on the inside. And I am praying for me and Cole being best friends and I am not being abused. I am just very socially awkward sometimes and do not enjoy confrontation. So really not the same.

"Evie! How has your day gone?" Coleman asks me cheerfully.

"Eh. It was okay. I was working with Nathan so..." I respond sounding very bored. Aw I don't want to hurt his feelings.

"Oh yeah. How did that go?" He mumbles to me looking down at his shoes.

"It was fun actually." I told him while eyeing him for his sudden change in mood. "Nathan is really cool to hang out with."

"Oh. Are you sure? Because he looked kind of mean." Coleman questions. Oh no. Don't do this to me.

"Yeah I'm sure. He's a nice guy." I say warily.

     This goes on like this all night long. Cole was being all reserved and quiet which is so not like him. When he finally did speak it was just to interject something good about him or bad about Nathan.

     Literally. That is the only thing he talked about all night long. His mom, whom I love, asked what I did today. I explained to her and when I got to the Nathan project part Coleman started going off about how he was satin's incarnate. To your mom, Cole? Your mom?

      Maybe ignoring the fact that he liked me wasn't such a marvelous idea. I am deciding to talk to him later and right now just chill with Aiden. After all, he is the birthday boy and the cutest thing ever to walk the earth.

     I start to walk over too Aiden playing with his new presents (a really fancy puzzle ball thing because he is a genius). I hear someone behind me and guess who it is. Coleman! Not that I don't love him but he doesn't have to hover that close.

"Coleman." I huff mildly annoyed.

"Yes...."

"What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" He asks innocently.

"I mean why are you following so close!" I exclaim a little too harshly. "I can feel your breathing on the back of my neck!"

"What? We always hang out together during these kinds of things." He says quietly, clearly hurt. "Did I do something wrong? Are you okay?"

"No, you didn't do anything." I assure him. "Just remember I need to talk to you later."

      Ah. We need to talk. The four most terrifying word in any human relationship. Not just the romantic ones. Friendships too.

It's only natural to assume the worst in this situation. When the look of pure terror passed through my dear Cole's eyes, I could only imagine what he was assuming.

Knowing him, he thought I didn't want to be his friend anymore. Even though this is absolutely preposterous he usually thinks this is going to happen. I will never understand how little faith this boy has in our friendship.

So as these thoughts of fear went around inside Coleman's little brain I could see how hard he was trying to think of what he did or what I want. Oh don't worry best friend. You will find out soon enough, Coleman Dunn.

       Hey readers!!! Sorry this is such a short chapter but I'm so pumped to be writing this again! I honestly kind of forgot but I'm back and I'm excited. Let me know how you liked this chapter and how you are liking the book. I'm thinking about entering it into the Wattys thing. I know I won't win anything and I don't completely understand the contest in general. But why not try? I'll try to update more often! Keep reading. Love you all!

QOTD: Who is your favorite YouTuber? Mine are Caspar, Dan and Phil, Joe Sugg and many others.

Current favorite read: the good girls bad boys by @rubixcube89201