TPA- 11

11

“How?” I asked Nate, my interest peaking. “Are you still seeing her?”

“Not exactly ‘seeing’ like dating seeing.” Nate uttered. “More like seeing as friends.”

“And you’re fine with that? C’mon, there’s nothing wrong with dating your ex again.”

“She’s happy.” Nate looked out the window and avoided eye contact. “She has someone else now.”

“Oh.” I nodded and sulked. “That sucks.”

“Yeah it does.” He sighed rested his drink on the table.  Nate tapped his fingers on the table and started looking around.

I bit my lip. I should’ve stopped the conversation earlier. “I have a question.”

“Shoot.”

“What could I get you for your birthday?” I asked. “What could I get for someone who can get anything they want?”

“Uh..” Nate hesitated. “I have to tell you something.”

“I’ll listen if you tell me what I could get you. A waffle maker?” I suggested lamely.

“Fine.” Nate sighed. “Here’s what you can do: Promise me one thing.”

I smiled. At least I could get or promise him something for his birthday. “What is it?”

“Promise me we’ll still be friends after what I am about to tell you.”

I blinked at him. “What?”

“I’m going to tell you something that might freak you out.”

“Freak me out?” What was he talking about? “What? Why?”

“It’s about uh…well, your…past.”

My mind stopped for a split of a second. “Past? You’ve told me about that before.”

“I lied.”

“Lied? About what?”

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “Probably about all the things I told you.”

My fingers entwined with each other and my eyes dropped to them. Lied?

So Nate’s also lying to me. Is there anyone out there who isn’t? Christ, am I not that loyal to them that they need to lie to me? Do they not care?

I closed my eyes and sighed. I stood up, refusing to hear anymore.

“Nate, I want to go home.”

“Listen to me first.”

“Enough people have lied to me that could last a lifetime.”

“You’d want to listen to it.”

I sighed again and sat back down. A shiver ran down my spine.

Nate stood up. “You’re cold.”

“I’m not.”

He removed his suit jacket and draped it over my shoulders. “Yeah you are.”

I tried shrugging off the jacket but his hand stopped me. “Talk fast.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I closed my eyes and let my thoughts wander. I was already back home; Matt showed up at Starbucks and we kind of got into another fight:

“Let’s go.” Matt’s jaw tightened as the words left his lips. “Now.”

“Five more minutes please.” I suggested and turned my attention back to Nate.