Chapter 1: The Ring

I stride past the uniformed men as they bow down honorably. In the red velvet throne ahead sits the once faceless king, Jinheung and beside him an empty seat reserved for the future queen of Silla. All I hear are the echoing clicks of my shoes as I take each step carefully towards the place I've earned. Though I won't dare to look, I can feel the officials glaring at me as I walk past, most likely already plotting something against me. Perhaps my death. Feeling a damp sensation on the palms of my hands, I lift them up to see them covered in rich crimson blood.

I'm woken by a gentle voice that calls my name; "Jade, rise and shine!" I snap my eyes open and accept the divine morning light that beams directly at me as Grace slides open the cream curtains. It was just a dream. I stare blankly ahead as I let the vague memory of my nightmare turn to void. "Lets hurry and have breakfast," she says as I sit up. "Then we'll head to the marketplace. I hear they've opened a new boutique. Come on, we have to be back here before his majesty rages out about his unprepared breakfast again."

"Okay," I respond lazily as I slip on my baby blue silk robe and step into the bathroom. Though I usually take more time to get up and out of bed, I suddenly feel a rush of energy as it's been a little over a week since we had time to go out. My best friend Grace and I have one of the toughest jobs in Silla.

Soon enough, I'm dressed and ready in my sea foam hanbok and makeup.

Grace and I explore the shops with linked arms, occasionally stopping to buy treats and clothes. As usual, it's crowded with people who have come to shop for either necessity or pleasure. Mothers hold their children's hands so not to drift apart, while store owners busily welcome their customers and exchange cash cheerfully. I'm scanning my surroundings when a gorgeous bulky jade ring catches the corner of my eye. I turn to observe it. Grace, realizing I've found something I like, joins me.

"That's nice," she remarks. I pick it up from the lush collection of rings and slip it onto my left middle finger.

"I like it," I decide. "It's perfect for my jade collection." I pay the old man who thanks me kindly. Then Grace and I move on, checking out the other shops.

Moments later, we've just gotten ourselves some dried squid at the store ahead, when someone grabs my wrist, startling me immensely. I can't find the words to say, appalled by the man's rudeness, as he stares at my brand new ring. I'm unable to see his face clearly as he's covered his eyes with his pitch black hat, making him all the more creepy. Desperate not to get my new accessory stolen, I snap my hand back and say, "wh- what do you think you're doing?"

"I'm sorry, miss," he responds in his low voice, still avoiding eye contact. I search around his hat, trying to get a better view of his face, but before I can he dashes off, pushing past the crowd rudely. I watch him slip by the other people as I wonder why he looked familiar. Interrupting my reverie, Grace tugs at my arm, leading my attention away.

"Well, he was rude. You okay?" she asks.

"I'm fine."

"Okay, well, anyway, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, your mom's letter. So, how is she doing in Japan? Is husband number three treating her well?" She hooks her arm through mine again and we proceed along the other stores as I once again update her on my mother's eventful love life.