Chapter 6: The Turn

"Your majesty!" I hear from outside, waking me up from my peaceful rest. It must still be really early considering the fact that the sun hasn't even risen yet. I turn my head to the side and check on Grace who's wrapped up in her blankets, looking like a caterpillar in a cocoon, one eye open.

"What the hell?" She groans as she raises the blankets to cover her whole head.

"I'll go check," I insist as I lazily slide my feet into my slippers and grab my robe. I peek outside the door and see nobody there. Shutting it behind me, I make my way to his majesty's room where I find the Hwarang teacher Mr. Wi standing at the end of the king's bed. The young master stumbles out of it, and I realize I've come just in time.

"What's going on?" I ask. They both turn to me.

"We've captured the two guards who helped the culprit kidnap Princess Sookmyung!" explains Mr. Wi.

"So, she was kidnapped?" I ask in shock.

"Jade, help me get dressed. Quickly," orders the king. I obey and grab his royal blue robe along with the golden belt, head ornaments; everything necessary.

"I will be outside, sire. Lady Jade, please be quick." I nod, and Mr. Wi steps out.

I lay down all the king's clothing on the long couch and pick up the first layer. When I turn back around, his majesty stands shirtless, watching me. Doing my best to keep myself  together, I quickly begin to prepare him. He stands in silence and lets me do my job.

"You should go now," I insist once I've set his golden crown in place. As I reach my arm to grab his nightwear, he grabs my wrist and then fine-tunes his hand so he's supporting mine from below. He gently rubs his thumb across my knuckles, sending chills down my spine. Then it hits me.

"It was you," I say in a near-whisper. "The one at the market. That's why you were so interested in my new ring."

He smiles. "I, um, have to go but can I see you later?" he asks softly.

"Of course, your majesty."

He plants a soft kiss on the back of my hand then goes off to the interrogation room. I bring my head back down to Earth so I can finish cleaning up his nightwear and bed. Then I go back to my room where I find Grace sat at her mirror, doing her makeup.

"So, what's going on?" She asks as she applies mascara.

"They've captured the guards who apparently helped the culprit kidnap the princess. This is big."

She halts her hands. "Damn, I wonder how they figured it out."

"I don't know, but hopefully they find whoever those rascals are working for as well as the princess. I hope she's safe..."

Thirty minutes later, Grace and I are having breakfast when his majesty and Pao walk in. We both jump up to bow down to him.

"They were two trusted guards of mine," the king sighs. Poor thing, he must feel so betrayed and confused.

"Is there anything we can get you, your highness?" Asks Grace.

"Jade, you need to come with me now." He orders. "We're going to go talk to the Hwarangs and tell them what we found out through talking to the shop owners at the marketplace. Since the guards can't be trusted, the boys are the only ones I can depend on now."

"Yes, your majesty," I respond. "I'll see you later, Grace," I greet her.

"Wait! At least finish your Earl Grey," she insists. I smile and gulp down the last of my usual a.m. tea.