Chapter 2: The Secret

Fortunately, we arrive back home in time to pick up his majesty's extravagant breakfast. I don't understand why they prepare so much when he barely even eats in the morning, but that's one of the questions we can't dare to ask. What I do deserve to know is why the daughters of the two most respected marquesses in the palace have to serve tea.

"Your majesty, have you awaken? We have brought your breakfast," I announce outside his isolated suite.

"Come in," he orders, and Grace and I take our usual procedure, placing each bowl and plate where it belongs on the lengthy table. Finally, Grace places a small blanche cup at the top right corner and I pour in some hot jasmine tea.

"We will be right outside. Please let us know if you need anything," I tell his majesty as I do every morning.

However, there's something different about today.

As I turn to leave, the king asks, "did you get that ring at the marketplace?" I glance down at my new favorite accessory and smile, pleased that he's noticed it.

"Yes, your majesty," I respond. I study his face, and notice he's frowning. "Is something the matter, sir?" I ask curiously.

"Throw it out immediately," he orders, and his piercing gaze suggests an unspoken sadness. What am I missing here?

"Sir, may I ask why?" I know I should never be questioning the king, but this is my brand new ring! I deserve an explanation.

"It's bad luck. It brings misfortune," he says, leaving me still confused. Not knowing how to respond, I glance at Grace who kneels diagonally behind me. She simply shrugs.

I turn back to face the king. "I will not wear it anymore. I would never want to bring bad luck to the palace." I don't agree to throw it away. I'll simply not wear it around his majesty.

The frown never leaves his face but I try to ignore it as I bow, get up, and exit, Grace right behind me. Once we're out and far enough from the king's room Grace asks, "what the hell do you think that was about?"

"I have no idea," I reply as I admire my ring.

That afternoon, after Grace and I are done with our errands, we decide to go ask Pao about the ring. We find him with some of the other Hwarangs in the courtyard where they practice fighting. We wait till they're finished and summon him. He points at himself to confirm it's him we're calling before he toddles towards us.

"Pao," I start as I pull out the ring from my pocket. His eyes widen before I could even ask.

"Where did you get that?" He asks in a whisper. He glances around as if we're discussing a forbidden matter.

Grace and I exchange equally confused glances. "The marketplace..." Grace replies hesitantly.

"Give it to me," Pao orders, holding out his palm.

"Please, just tell me what it means," I beg. "His majesty had the same kind of reaction."

"His majesty saw this?" He asks, a terrified look on his face. I frown.

"Explain to me in a way that I can understand."

Pao sighs, knowing I wouldn't be giving up easily. Yeah, he knows how much I love accessories and fashion.

"Lets just say it holds a very negative connotation. It's... Bad luck," he says, just as his majesty did.

I sigh. "Pao, you know I'm not the kind of girl who believes in that voodoo stuff," I snort. "I promise I won't wear it in front of his majesty anymore. Just let me keep it, hmm?" I smile lightly and Pao lets out a verbal sigh in his low voice.

"Just put it away. And don't let the king see it again," he says before he rejoins the other guys. I oblige and slip the ring into my pocket.

"What's a ring if I can't wear it?" I pout at Grace.

"Lets go," she suggests, turning around. I follow her back inside and we make our way to the balcony where our fathers usually play cards at this time.

"Ah, our beautiful daughters," greets Marquess Bae. Grace and I give them both warm smiles. "Sit down, we need to talk to you both."

He looks at my father before speaking. Why is everyone being so secretive lately?

"The king called us in yesterday, and he wants the two of you to... Rise in rank a little bit," He explains with a proud smile on his face.

What does he mean? I tilt my head to the side.

My father speaks, seeing that we're confused: "He's rejuvenating the wonhwa system and as he's been watching the two of you since you started working here last year, he's been very pleased with the both of you."

A cold rush tingles through my body to the tip of my toes. Everyone knows that just the word wonhwa itself means for trouble. "The king... Wants Grace and myself to be his wonhwas?" I ask, my voice a little quieter than intended.

"Correct," says father, not seeming like he's concerned at all. I glance at Marquess Bae who smiles back. How can they keep a straight face? I know they're desperate for one of us to be queen, but they should know what this would mean for Grace and me. We'd be intentionally walking towards our deathbeds. Or at least one of us would be...

Grace, noticing my reaction, places a hand on my shoulder. "Jade, if- if it's the story of the past you're worried about, remember that- that times have changed and... We have a different king now... Since you and I started working here, his majesty has been nothing but kind to us," Grace reassures me. I can tell that she's trying to convince herself as much as she's trying to convince me. Her voice is shaky and I know she's as afraid as I am right now. But she's right. The incident happened at the break of Queen Jiso's rule. Her son is nothing like her. I take a deep breath to prepare for what I'm about to say.

"Okay." The three of them smile in contentment and I grin back. It'll be okay. I don't know why the king wants to bring back the wonhwa system but it surely won't be the same as it was back then... Right?