Chapter 11: The Final Chapter

The night is aging as the sun is just taking its first peek of the day. I begin to worry whether we have enough time. Heedfully sneaking around the corner, I'm relieved to see that there are no guards in sight this early in the morning.

"Are you sure we have the right place?" The prince whispers. "I don't see anything that looks like a death chamber. This just looks like someone's house."

"According to Minister Kim, the king and princess are held captive in this house. It's Minister Park's former residence where he lived before joining the palace. He's kept it in secret for all these years."

"But why?" he asks.

"I don't know."

"Something tells me he's been planning this for a very long time," Soo-yeon unnie suggests, and I feel chills run through my body. "I knew father was hiding something big."

"What is taking Pao so long?" asks the swordsman.

"I... don't think we'll be seeing him nor Dan-se oppa anytime soon," I admit. They all look at me with puzzled expressions.

"What do you mean?" asks the prince.

"I don't know... I just have a bad feeling."

There's a brief moment of silence - until we hear footsteps. We all back up and peek through the bushes to see Minister Park who carelessly steps onto his ridiculously luscious and ornate garden, some papers, a brush and a small box of ink in his hands. Glancing around like a robber making his move (ironic because this is his own house), he stops at his well that's placed approximately in the middle of the lawn. Oh gosh, no. I look at the others who give me expressions that say they're on the same page as me. Minister Park quietly unlocks the lid, places the materials one-by-one into the bucket, then slowly lowers it down the deep well.

"Sign these," he murmurs moments later as we hear the bucket finally reach the surface.

"The- The king can't be in there!... Can he?" confirms the prince. We all know the answer to that as nobody dares to respond. Minister Park now threatens whom I think is safe to assume is his highness.

"Don't hesitate, just sign them. Or else I'll kill the princess." We all gasp.

"Well, at least we know the royal siblings are both alive," states Soo-yeon unnie.

"What if the king refuses to sign whatever that is? Will Minister really kill the princess?"

"I don't know," replies the prince. "All we can do is wait and hope he doesn't." I gulp.

"We can't just stay here and do nothing," says Soo-yeon unnie, taking the words right out of my mouth.

"She's right. We have to stop this."

We take another minute to observe the situation. "Good," says Minister Park. "And now I can get rid of you." No. He pulls the bucket back up and takes out the now signed papers and ink.

"I think we have enough information now," says the swordsman. "Should I get my men, my lady?"

"Yes. But remember, only the ones you can trust for sure. And Mr. Wi too."

He nods once and turns to go, but I stop him - "Wait!"

He freezes and turns his head to look at me.

"Please get back safely." He nods again, and then he's gone in a swift second.

As Soo-yeon unnie, the prince and I wait for the swordsman and his army to come to the rescue, Minister Park takes the papers and goes back inside. Through the doors, we can see his candlelight go out. I sigh and realize I'd been holding my breath.

"Do you think he's going to sleep now?" asks Soo-yeon unnie.

"I think so. I have to check on the king." I'm about to foolishly go to him but, fortunately, she grabs my arm.

"Jade- wait till we have backup." Right. "Don't worry," she comforts me. "It'll all be over soon and we'll all be together again."

And she was right. I couldn't be happier as I turn my head to the relieving sight of Mr. Wi, the swordsman and his full-on army (I think there are at least thirty of them), all in a straight line.

"Lady Jade, are you okay?" Mr. Wi asks immediately. I nod in reply and smile. Then I make way for the king's loyal subjects to scatter all around the house. Soo-yeon unnie and I follow the swordsman, Mr. Wi and three men into the complex, towards the well. I'm afraid to see whatever state the king is in, and so I stay back a few steps as Mr. Wi delightedly greets him. "Your majesty, are you okay? You are safe now, sir." The two guards work together to get the king out. I cover my mouth with both hands as I finally see my love - in his nightwear that's now torn and covered in dirt. My eyes fill with tears and so does Soo-yeon unnie's. She wraps her arm around my shoulder for support. The guards in turn support the king as he limps his way towards me. I still cover my mouth in disbelief. He looks awful. Once the king is standing right in front of me, the guards let him go and Soo-yeon unnie takes a step back. I gently take my king in my arms, holding him close. He weakly wraps his arms around my waist. I can finally exhale.

Moments later, the guards reappear with all the criminals: Minister Park, his son Ban Ryu, Soo-ho, and Sunwoo, all in check. I guess they've been together all night. The prince struts over to Minister Park at once, grabs his collar, and demands, "what have you done with my wife? I swear I'll make sure you get the most torturous form of punishment there is." His words make my heart clench, as that's the first time I've heard him refer to the princess as his wife. Though it was an arranged marriage, I think he really loves her. I mean, he wouldn't have gone through all of this danger if he didn't.

We all hold our breaths for Minister Park to answer.

"You mean the princess, your highness?" He snorts. "Did you think I would keep her alive all this time?" My heart now sinks - deep, deep down into the ground. I see the prince's eyes fill with tears as he lets go of his inescapable grip on Minister Park's collar. I glance at the king who weakly leans against me to check his reaction to Minister Park's revelation. His highness' expression is blank, which means he must have known ever since he was captured.

"Your majesty." The prince turns to face the weakening king. "This man has not only committed first-degree kidnapping but also treason and first-degree murder. I strongly insist on sentencing him to execution."

The king nods his head slowly. "He says yes," I translate.

The prince turns to the guards. "Lock him up. This man will be executed for the crimes of treason and the murder of two members of the royal palace... Including the princess." He struggles to say the last part. "All accessories to the crimes will be locked up for interrogation and further investigation."

After the guards take away the criminals, the king mumbles something to me.

"What's that, your majesty? Did you say you want me to carry you, your highness? I don't think I can do that, sir."

"No," I lean in to hear him better. "Be my queen. You have earned your right to. And," he pauses. "I love you."

I've done it. I'm finally going to become queen! I've dreamed of it for so long, both my father and I. Ever since I was a little girl. Father will be over the clouds to hear about this victorious news.

But something's out of place. This isn't exactly the feeling I expected to have in this special moment. Because although my mind is thrilled about becoming his queen, my whole heart is taken over by the excitement of becoming his wife.

"I love you too."