Part 27 - Our faults.

The evening had gone on smoothly, at least as the Hofferson's had remained outside of their home. Inside the house however- their mother was furious.

"You've both been out, only God knows where- to sneak out with your lovers." Mrs Hofferson spoke with an eery calm, and the two siblings were terrified. It wasn't everday they could've possibly gotten scolded as such, and with her being so- undoubtfully quiet about the scenario, it scared the Hofferson's enough so as to submit to her.

"Mom, it wasn't- it wasn't like we did anything wrong." Astrid had tried defending weakly, voice wavering as she did so. "W-we were just out to celebrate." She added, doing just about anything so that her mother wouldn't murder her, or at least ease the punishment they would be given.

"Just out to celebrate?" The woman echoed, voice and face hardening as she stared down harshly at the both of them. "You do realise what time it is, don't you?" She gestured to the clock and Astrid's eyes widened as she saw it was already getting late.

"I, uh-"

"Mom, we're sorr-"

"Where were you exactly and what were you doing? It's dangerous out there." She pointed out, cutting them both off from speaking and crossing her arms as she looked at them expectantly. "Well-? Do you have an answer?"

The siblings looked at each othee for a brief moment before Asher raked a hand through his hair, sighing as he offered her an answer. "Uh, we just went out for dinner, and to the park with-" The male paused, gulping as he swallowed the last of his pride. "-Hiccup and Heather." He mumbled, voice trailing off into a whisper, finding comfort in the hand Astrid had placed onto his shoulder.

Their mother shook his head in disapproval, "you should've told me. Or at least sent a text." She told them clearly before rubbing her temples. "Teenage years, just- don't do anything you'll regret. Don't let this happen again." The older woman warned, offering them a sad smile before she went upstairs. "It just gets lonely around the house, you know?"

And she'd left to go to sleep, leaving the two youngest of the house to stare at the floor with the same guilt they shared.

"I've been so busy with Hiccup, i've disregarded what mother must've felt." Astrid managed to murmur. She had to admit to herself, as strong as she could be, she would be nothing without her mother to guide her, absolutely pathetic and weak. She sighed as she forced herself to turn to the male. "We need to make it up to her." The male nodded in agreement before placing a hand to his chest.

"That was intense." He managed to add jokingly and the younger girl nodded in agreement, cracking a smile. "It was." She mused, tugging the males arm to sit with her on the couch.

"We should organise a family event. It'd be, nice." She suggested, a fond smile playing on her lips as she recalled a few memories the three of them had spent together. "The zoo. Mom loves animals, and i'm sure she'd appreciate it." Asher nodded in agreement, "we could cook her breakfast?" He offered and Astrid shrugged. "I can make toast, you can make everything else." She cheekily added with an innocent grin as the male glared at her with a pout.

"Hey, would your boyfriend mind you not spending a day with him?" Asher asked curiously, resting his chin upon his hand as he leant against his knee.

Astrid shrugged, leaning her back against the leather material. "He'll have to live with it. I can't be by his side forever." She told him haughtily before whipping out her phone from her purse. "I'll just message him, so he knows not to disturb us tomorrow." She mumbled, sending Hiccup a quick message of, 'i'm busy tomorrow'. Cold as it was, Astrid needed to let Hiccup know he could not wreck their family day.

"You know, i'm really curious about something else." Aster started, and Astrid barely gave him an affirmative hum that she was listening.

"Why are you dressed, so much out of your comfort zone?" He asked, fiddling with his thumbs nervously. "Not that it looks bad- but just- the last time I saw you, you didn't care about looks, or boys or, anything of that sort. So what changed?" Aster finished, looking intently at the girl who'd carefully put down her phone.

Astrid thought about it for a moment before answering. "Nothing changed. I've just, I want to prove to others that no matter what I look like, i'm still the same Astrid as before. Think of it like a test." She truthfully answered, hands coming up to ruffle his hair affectionately. "And you. Since when did you become so thoughtful?" She teased, pinching his cheek while the other swatter her hand away in 'annoyance'.

"Excuse you- i've always been this great of a brother." He teased back before resting his head on her shoulder, the two of them basking in the silence that had enveloped them-

-at least until, "is Heather into blonde sexy men?" Resulting into a slap to the face from his sister.