Nine

Gentle patters of rain sounded against the overhang of the massive wooden bridge on Hogwart's grounds. Its soft creaks could be heard faintly from the strong gusts of muggy wind blowing through. The leaves were damp as they fell into the forming puddles in the mud. The drizzle resulting from the dark gray clouds overhead was starting to die down and the falling sun beginning to peak out in certain areas of the sky. The air smelled crisp and earthy, reminding the young girl of the day that her mother brought her to a muggle apple-farm. That same day felt just like this and it was all too surreal.

Standing on the bridge, Primrose had gone there to get away. She felt suffocated by people and by the walls that had been surrounding her. Her hands gripped onto the wooden sides starting to turn white as she tried taking deep breaths in and out. Trying to think about pleasant times with her mother wasn't helping to calm her down, it started making her mood worse. An anxious feeling began to climb its way up into her chest and deeper in her mind. She hated feeling this way, feeling like everyone around only pitied her and she was dragging them down. These problems were her own and no one should have to share them with her.

From a distance a figure watched the girl on the bridge. Tom Riddle had actually been in the process of looking for her when he finally gave up and decided to go for a stroll. But there he stood in the soft drizzle, beads of water rolling off his robes as he watched Prim. Her actions were foreign to him, he could tell she was starting to cry as her head drooped. This seemed like an inappropriate time to interrupt, but he was on a tight schedule, whether her emotions were getting in the way or not.

Tom marched his way over to her and as his feet collided onto the wood of the bridge, it snapped Prim's focus onto him. She immediately brought her hand up to wipe her eyes, "T-Tom?"

"Rousseau. I've been looking for you."

"Have you?"

"Yes. Though I was just wandering when I found you here. Unusual time to be out."

Prim sniffled, "what would you like?" she was internally cursing herself by now, hating the fact she must look like a wreck. Her eyes were probably puffy and of all people it was Tom Riddle who had to find her crying. Maybe he hadn't noticed, he hadn't said anything about it. Or in fact he didn't care.

"Just curious as to when I can expect to help you study again. I'm rather busy."

"I-I see, well uh, I can do tomorrow before dinner, afternoon time."

"That works. Library at three then." Tom stayed put for a few seconds, his eyes glued to Prim. He didn't know what he was supposed to do, he felt uncomfortable with a distraught girl standing besides him. Thinking it was time to make his leave he went to turn when she interrupted him,

"Tom, would you stay?"

He froze at her words, but did something he normally never would have done. Tom listened. Turning back around he took his place besides her once more. There was no plan to speak and he sure wasn't going to comfort her. Soon his mind became fixated on his surroundings, the setting sun and darkening clouds. Nightfall turned Hogwarts into a whole new place sometimes, setting a shroud of darkness over the castle and it's fields. It always became more frightening there at night especially with the looming forest and lake only steps away.

"You should get inside. It's getting late."

The girl nodded, "y-yeah.. oh and," she looked up making eye contact with him. Tom almost felt pity as he saw the sadness in her eyes, a feeling he for some time knew well, "I'm sorry you always have to see me like this. I feel like I'm always a wreck around you."

"It's no bother." he wasn't lying. Seeing her upset didn't sway him one way or another, she was just weak, "I'll walk you in. Would you like my robes? It's getting chillier."