12. The work of Thanos

2.5 hours till activation.

Tony, Steve and Thor stood at the back entrance to the SHIELD headquarters.

"I'll disable the motion sensors. You two take out the guards," Tony said in his comms.

It happened quickly and even smoothly. Tony took under sixty seconds in doing a sweep of the area and disabling the motion sensors. Steve and Thor covered him, taking out the four-man guard easily.

"Chitauris?" Tony asked, alighting beside them.

Steve unmasked one and sucked in a breath, "No."

"They're alive. Don't worry," Thor said. Times like these, Steve could see that Thor was a warrior, regardless of his countenance.

"Yeah, but...it's just that people are helping Thanos destroy the Earth," Steve said. "It's horrifying."

Tony set his face, "That's where we come in. Let's do this."

They tied up the soldiers and left them behind, approaching the door.

"I'll take care of this," Thor raised his hammer high.

"Wait, wait," Tony grabbed his arm much to Thor's irritation. "It might be open already."

"I seriously doubt that," Thor pouted.

Tony tried the lock. The door clicked open. He looked around at his companions with a smile that was lost in his Ironman helmet.

"Is he smirking at me?" Thor asked Steve.

Steve nodded, "Afraid so."

"Oi, you two! Come on." Tony looked at the blueprint hologram over his palms, "Right from here. Follow me."

"It's really quiet here," Steve said, "almost as if—"

He stopped as his leg caught on a wire. Immediately a wall closed Steve and Thor off from Tony.