the beach

They held as tightly as they could. They kneeled - even with the captain's broken leg - they kneeled for more contact, so that all of their fronts were sealed together.

Jyn's arms were wound tightly around Cassian's sturdy frame. She could feel his calm breath in the crook of her neck. Only Cassian would be so cool and collected on the brink of death.

But they had done it. They had transmitted the plans for the death star - they had transmitted hope - Jyn would be with her father now, and Cassian could cease to exist with the notion that he died for the rebellion. He had completed the most important mission of all his career as a caption for the rebellion. With his shattered knee and many broken ribs, open wounds and bruises, he was ready to leave. He was at peace with the girl who he thought would only bring him trouble, but instead brought him comfort. His arms were locked around Jyn's frame, his eyes closed, ready to be taken.

Jyn was also at peace. She felt like she had so much to say to Cassian. He was the only person she could ever relate to - the only one she could ever see herself being this close to, the only person she had ever exposed emotions to. As Jyn grew older, forming friendships or even relationships was out of the book. She was simply emotionally unavailable. She witnessed her mother die at the hands of Krennic as a child, and she watched her father pass not long ago, and she avenged his death. Cassian had lost people too, and when Jyn had nowhere else to go - Cassian was there.

Holding him tight, she was smiling at the brightening horizon - so peaceful and calm in Cassian's arms. She felt a tear stream down her cheek, and another, and she began to shake as the heat became almost unbearable.

Cassian began to cry, as well, something he never did, soothing his calloused hands down Jyn's clothed back. "Don't be afraid," he soothed in a breaking voice, "I'm here."

Jyn stifled a sob, her eyes fixated on the building light, but she was still smiling. The two were a mess of raw emotion. Jyn watched the blast grow closer and closer until her eyes stung unbearably, and when she tried to blink, everything turned black. And it stung like a thousand knives twisting into her pupils.

Cassian felt her tense. She did not cry out. Soon she would be met with a sweet release.

It was then, before they could possibly react, they were yanked onto a metal floor, the familiar whirring of a ship's engine enclosed around them, and they were hurled into hyperdrive, the distant sounds of a planet dying behind them.

Jyn was clasped around Cassian, her face buried in his shirt, both of them collapsed on the ground. It was then, Jyn realized what was going on, and she couldn't help but scream into Cassian's chest, the pain in her eyes unbearable, and the realization that they were still alive overwhelming.