Prologue

Prologue

- Autumn's Point of View -

“You’re annoying.”

“You’re a know-it-all.”

“You’re stupid.”

“You’re obviously having that time of the month.”

My eyes widened as he said that. I grabbed the tissue box near me and chucked it at him across the table with as much strength as I had. He ducked and wiggled his eyebrows at me.

“You know you want me, Autumn,” he said with confidence.

I rolled my eyes at him. I would rather chew on broken glass than date the pompous idiot that was Harry Styles. Why, oh, why did our mums have to be best friends? If they weren’t, I wouldn’t have to spend every damn Saturday night stuck with him, while our mums had tea together or went shopping.

“In your sick and twisted dreams, Styles,” I replied.

“Ooh,” he said. “Someone’s in a bad mood.”

After a moment, he continued, “Would you like me to sing a song for you, babe?”

I thought about it for a millisecond before I nodded my head. Harry may have been an extreme jerk, but his voice made me melt. It was probably one of the only things that made me tolerate his antics. As soon as his mouth opened, I would fall in love. Well, I would fall in love with his voice, not him. Why would I ever fall in love with him? He was like an annoying older brother.

He knew how much I loved his voice. Sometimes, when I really wanted him to sing, he would tease me and tell me how he wouldn’t sing until I kissed him. Once, I was so desperate that I actually did. It was my first kiss. He was just as surprised as I was at first, but he gave me a sly smile and began to sing.

“Styles?” I asked him as he finished the song.

He nodded at me.

“Are you going to keep your voice to yourself forever?”

He shook his head and looked at me in surprise.

“Didn’t your mum tell you? I’m auditioning to be on X-Factor.”

It didn’t surprise me for some reason. He was talented.

“Here,” I grabbed my purse and handed him £20. 

He stared at it, confused, “What’s this for?”

“I’m betting on you.”

“You are?” this surprised him even more.

He tried handing the money back to me but I refused.

“Give it back to me when you’re famous.”

That was almost two years ago. I miss that bastard with all my heart.