Healing

Healing

Soul collapsed onto the couch. It had been a week. A week of weapon training with Spirit during school hours, sparing with Black*Star during every lunch period, helping Blair look for work, and dealing with Maka's presence. At least it was the weekend finally.

He groaned painfully, turning over gingerly, trying to avoid upsetting his battered body any more than he had to.

Stupid Spirit. The man had it out for him since Maka had moved in. His training had been hard, but fair. Now it was simply the elder Scythe trying to kill him for 'defiling his little angels innocence!' and Soul doing his best to keep his limbs from being severed.

In fact, if he really thought about it, almost all of this was Spirits fault. If he didn't get his girlfriend knocked up, Maka never would have been born. And if Maka wasn't here, then the idiot wouldn't be trying to kill him.

He let out a defeated sigh, closing his eyes.

But on that same note, Spirit had been helpful in one aspect of Souls life. When he had come over to 'rescue' Maka from Soul apartment, he had run headfirst into Soul's other roommate. Upon seeing her...physique...Spirit had blurted out that she would be perfect for Chupa-Cabras. While this had been a good recommendation, it had also paved the way for a beating from his feisty daughter.

Soul let out a small chuckle at the memory of the reigning Death Scythe having his ass handed to him by his diminutive daughter.

"What's so funny?"

Soul's eyes snapped open and he found himself staring into the sea foam green eyes he was slowly coming accustomed to. However, he wasn't used to the invasion of personal space that came with said eyes.

"Nothing" He grumbled, pushing himself further into the couch, trying to distance himself from the miester. Since their 'battle' she was constantly near him. Always just in arms length. It was extremely annoying to have someone hovering next to you all the time.

But it was even more annoying when he would look and see that she wasn't there.

Maka stared at him for a moment longer, before smiling. "Alright! What do you want for dinner tonight?"

"Not eating dinner," Soul answered, rolling off the couch and walking off towards his room.

Maka cocked her head to the side, "Why not?"

"Mission" he called, slamming his bedroom door shut behind him.

xXxXxXxXxXx

Maka stared at the closed door for a moment, a glare forming on her pretty face. After another moment of snarking, she turned away with a huff and headed towards the kitchen to start dinner for herself.

As she bustled around the kitchen, pulling out ingredients, she continued to fume.

It wasn't fair! If Soul would just stop being such a jackass and accept her as his damn miester then she could be going on her first mission tonight. She could be collecting her first soul and start on her quest to become just as good as her mother... Her hands froze at the thought of her mother. Without noticing, she dropped the glass bowl she was holding, letting it clatter to the floor loudly before it shattered.

"Mama" she whispered softly, her legs starting to wobble. Eyes crushed shut, he slowly slipped down to her knees, her head bowed. She had been doing so well, keeping her mind clear, keeping herself focused on the task of getting Soul as her weapon. She hadn't even had time to think about...

"Maka!" Soul's voice cut through the air and she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her body and lift her from the cool tile floor. "Maka! Hey, wake up. Maka!"