I want to be good...

*** DECLAN

Before you get the wrong idea about me, I want to offer you a peek into the future. I'm not sixteen anymore, I'm twenty-one, nearly twenty-two. I graduated college and got my bachelor's degree last year, and now I'm in seminary school with plans to become a priest.

Why? Well, they say God works in mysterious ways.

That's kind of a cop out, so here's the real answer. I screwed up really bad in college. I mean, yeah, I graduated, but my first few years are basically one giant regret. That's what I'm supposed to tell you, because I'm in seminary school with plans to become a priest, but it's not really the truth. I wouldn't say this out loud, but...

After growing up in a small town, college was an experience to say the least. I dated girls easily, and by that I mean I was having sex with a new girl every other week. Sometimes every week. It's not like I wanted to hurt them, but I didn't really understand restraint. Especially because the one girl that I wanted to have sex with basically would never have sex with me. It's funny how that happens. Instead of trying to make it work, putting in the effort to somehow appeal to her better interest, I just said the hell with it and had sex with a girl at a party that I barely knew.

It's not that I wanted to. I mean, yeah, the sex was good. I'm not going to say it was amazing or anything, but it was good. Even bad sex is pretty great, because who doesn't like orgasms?

I know what you're thinking, and you're probably saying something like: "Declan, why didn't you go after the girl that you wanted to be with?"

Which is some real romantic bullshit if I ever heard it. When did I say I wanted to be with her? I didn't. I said I wanted to have sex with her and we basically could never have sex. I'm not going to get into it more than that, but there's a lot going on there, and it's complicated. Trust me.

So... I screwed up a lot, somehow managed to never get into trouble for underage drinking, broke a ton of girl's hearts, had some one night stands, and...

"Declan, do you love me?" this one girl asks me after we have mindblowingly average sex. Her name is Samantha.

The sex was a little above average, and probably the best I'd had in a long time, but nothing like what you'd read about in a romance novel. I'm talking the really good romance novels, too. I know the kind of books some of you read. I may have read one or two here and there, too. I don't have to explain myself to you.

Anyways, what I say to Samantha is, "I don't think we should see each other again."

"What?" she asks. "Is that a joke?"

"Not really," I tell her. "Why do you think I'd fall in love with you after only dating you for three weeks?"

"I thought we had a real connection!" she says. And to top it off, she adds, "Asshole!"

Samantha ends up storming out of the room, which is awkward because it's her dorm room. I kind of sit there, trying to figure out what to do. I put my clothes back on and wait around a little until her roommate comes back. Ally looks at me and shakes her head.

"Hey, loser," she says.

I actually like Ally. She's pretty cool. Also she hooked me and Samantha up. I tried hooking up with Ally, but she rejected me.

"Hey, what's up?" I say to her.

"Can you leave? Sam is waiting around in the hallway. She said you broke up with her and she stormed out, but now she doesn't know how to come back in until you're gone."

"Yeah, you know, I'm not the one who told her to do that. I could have left."

"Well, yeah, so get out."