My first confession

*** DECLAN

Picture this, if you will. I'm a sixteen year old boy, who has never gone to church in his life. And then I'm in church. I mean, that's the crux of the issue here. No one explains this stuff. Or they didn't explain it to me. And it's not like I had much of a choice in the matter.

Yeah, maybe I could have skipped out or something. I doubt anyone would have forced me to go to church. Except you're missing one important key fact, and that's that Maddy's my new stepsister and she's the one who first asked me if I was going to church that Sunday.

"Yeah, of course, Maddy," I say to her, with a nod because it seems like the right thing to do. "Church. Sunday. Cool."

And it was cool up until the end. I sit next to Maddy on the pew, basically almost touching her. Our knees touched a few times, and I get that maybe this is kind of screwed up, but I start thinking about how many weeks I can masturbate for by thinking about our knees touching. If I know what it's like to have my knee touch hers, I feel like I can come up with a good approximation of what it'd be like for my hand to touch hers, maybe my arm around her shoulder, or who knows, maybe I can even imagine what it'd be like for us to kiss?

Yeah, like I said before, I was sixteen and kind of horny, so, uh...

Church goes alright. Maddy looks super beautiful in her Sunday dress. I've literally never seen her in something like this before. She looks really beautiful at school, but this Sunday dress is something else. It's pure and soft and she shines like she's radiance personified. There's pictures of people on the walls of the church with golden halos painted around their heads, and that's basically Maddy at this very moment. Her hair even glimmers in the sunlight shining through the stained glass windows and everything.

Service ends, and I think I do alright. I never realized how much sitting went on at church. There's some standing here and there, and then kneeling now and then. Praying, eyes closed, listening to the priest talk, listening to some songs from the choir, a few out loud group recitals of certain passages from the scripture. I can barely follow along with any of this, but Maddy helps me out, and I kind of mumble my way through it.

Did you know there's school after church, too? Sunday school? Seriously, what's up with that? I go to school during the week, and now I'm supposed to go to school on Sunday? Who came up with this? Listen, Maddy, I think you're beautiful and I'm going to think about our knees touching a lot for the next few weeks, and you're my stepsister and everything now, but...

"Are you going to come to Sunday school with me, too?" she asks. I swear she bats her eyelashes at me, but I might have imagined that one.

This is how I learned that Sunday school was even a thing to begin with. After getting over my initial shock that I was now maybe expected to go to school on Sundays, I said the obvious thing.

"Sure," I reply. "That sounds like a lot of fun."

Alright, it's not so obvious. Why did I just say that? I have no clue.

"I thought we could show Declan confession first," my stepfather says, with a certain tone in his voice. I didn't realize it at the time, but I now know that tone was a precursor to an ominous and doomed future, at least at the time. "Since he's never been to church before, I think a good start would be having him talk to the priest and confess his sins. Don't you agree?"

"Oh, yes!" Maddy says, giddy and clapping. "I hadn't thought of that. Do you want help, Declan? I can wait for you if that's easier."

Help? Nah, I got this. I'm a confession professional over here.