Back Then

As Lance continued heaving into the trash can, Keith couldn't help but wonder; what reason does Lance have to do any of this? His life seems perfect compared to Keith's. He had a loving family and friends. He had all of the basic necessities needed, so what was it?

The raven just couldn't understand. But he hadn't the time to think of that now, because Lance seemed to be recovering from his recent state, as he was moving from the bin to go sit down.  He looked absolutely awful.

His hair was a chocolatey brown mess,  his skin was incredibly pale,  too pale for anyone to believe possible for someone with his skin tone.  He was shaking uncontrollably.  And worst of all,  his eyes, his beautiful,  bright, sky blue eye were dull.  There was no light on them,  they were completely empty.

Though he wouldn't admit it, it broke Keith's heart to see Lance like that.

The boy was usually so upbeat and happy. Goofy and flirty.  Competitive and sweet.  What would it be like if that Lance disappeared?

Eventually,  Lance found his voice,  though it was hoarse. "I-I'm sorry... for causing so much trouble." Hunk's expression changed to a mix of soft and firm, if that makes any sense.

"Lance, you're not causing trouble," he said, staring at his friend. "You can't help this." Keith wondered what that meant.

He can't help it? Did he have some sort of disorder? Did Hunk mean it in some other way? Keith put it off as Hunk saying it as some sort of 'Fate' kind of thing.

Lance looked over to Keith, not realizing he was there.

"I'm sorry you had to see that..."

"It's not a problem, I promise"

"No, it really is... No one should have to see me like that... No one should have to deal with me..." Lance curled in on himself, close to tears.

"No one deserves my burden on their shoulders. I'm just a mess that should be left alone to fend for myself. Just like back then."