Meow

Ok I'm going to regret writing this...

.

.

.

Of all the things Marinette had expected to happen. It was not that. When the woman and her child pointed at Tikki and struggled to get out any actual words, she had not expected Tikki to step in and do something. She thought that she would hide away back in the purse. She thought that maybe her Kwami would freeze up or act robotic. But no. What she heard instead was a small questioning meow.

A meow!

She watched the woman's mouth drop even further and floundered for an excuse. Not that the woman would believe it, but it wasn't like she was going to give her time to process anything.

"Ahh... i-its a new toy from Japan! It's really life like. Says the strangest things. Sorry, it's not for sale! Bye!" she cried in a rush, and then she pushed Tikki back down into her bag, turned tail and bolted. She ran until she found a nook to hide in before she opened her bag and looked down at her friend. Tikki looked just as distressed as she probably did. "What the hell was that?" she squeaked.

"I don't know!" Tikki wailed. "I panicked! She saw me and I didn't know what to do! All I could remember is that Plagg said he meows when someone sees him!"

"Wait, what? Who's Plagg?!"

Tikki tapped her little paws together nervously. "He's Chat Noir's Kwami. Once we were talking about being spotted and other than the ridiculous joke that I already am spotted, he said that he meows when people see him. He suggested that I give it a go, and I know that it's stupid and wouldn't work for me, but I just froze! I mind-blanked and that was all I could think of!"

Marinette giggled, finding the sight of her friend panicking like that adorable. She looked so bewildered at what she had done. But now the surprise was beginning to wear off, it was almost funny. And in retrospect there was no harm done. That woman would probably forget about the incident and never think of it again. And it's not like seeing Tikki instantly told anyone that she was Ladybug. Everything was fine, though it was a close call.

"I'm guessing that Chat's Kwami looks like a cat?" she said with a smile.

Tikki nodded. "Yep. Pretty close. He looks like me in body shape. All Kwamis do in the same way that humans do. But he has cat ears and a long tail. He's sarcastic and lazy and such an idiot!" Despite her words, Tikki's tone was fond and a soft smile graced the small bug's face.

"Sounds like you like him a lot," she said, not a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

"Of course I do. I love him. He is my mate. We don't get to see each other often, but just sensing his presence makes me happy."

"Sensing him... does that happen a lot?" she asked.

Tikki looked at her slyly. "Marinette, are you trying to find out if you know Chat Noir without the mask?"

Her eyes widened in surprise. She hadn't even thought of that. "What?! I – no! I just-" She was cut off by Tikki's giggling.

"I'm only teasing you, Marinette. I know what you mean. But I do sense Plagg when we're near each other. I can't pin point it, but I know he's around. Even when no one is wielding the Miraculous and we're dormant inside. It's like dreaming, but most of the time he's there. The guardian keeps us together if he can. And it's just nice to feel him there with me."

"But you don't get to talk face to face with him, like we are now?"

Tikki nodded. "No, not often. Only when Ladybugs and Chat Noirs have known who the other is, and even then, it depends on if they know each other and are willing to be around each other in civilian form too."