Chapter 20

"I've got a surprise for you," Will said. We stepped out of his car and walked up towards the car body shop.

"Is this where you work?" I asked as Will unlocked the door. We stepped inside to a room filled with different types of car radios. Towards the back was a desk that showed different types of car starters. We walked through the building and out another door that led to a garage. The lights were on and someone was working on a car in the back, sparks flying from a tool they were using.

"Working late?!" Will shouted. A middle aged man looked up. He turned off his tool and set it down.

"Will, you should know better than to yell at man working on a car," the man said. His name tag on his uniform read Rick.

"What are you working on anyways?" Will asked. They started talking all technical and I tuned out. I looked down the row of other cars that were being worked on. I gasped at what my eyes laid on. I walked away from them down to the car. It was a mint green, a classic and vintage color. The inside was an off-white, evidence of being used back in it's prime.

"You were supposed to let me yell surprise," Will called to me. I looked over to him then back at the car.

"What is this?" I asked in awe.

"A beautiful piece of machinery," Will said as he walked up to me. I stepped closer to the car. The owner even had a pair of dice by the mirror. "It's a project I've been working on for a long time customer of Rick's. He used to work at the shop and needed some work done. I thought you might enjoy seeing this car from your decade."

"Will," I gasped. I walked around the car, every inch of it making my heart skip a beat.

"Your girl likes a nice car, Will. A '57 Bel Air is quite the beaut," Rick said. He walked over to us, wiping a rag on the side to shine it up. I walked over to Will and hugged him.

"It's so beautiful!" I exclaimed. Will rubbed my back. I pulled away and went back to the car. The two started talking about cars again as I tried to mental photograph every detail about the car.

"I need to take it for a spin, to make sure it runs smoothly. Wanna come?" Will asked.

"Do you really have to ask?" I replied.

We took a short drive around town with nothing but us, the car, and the sweet symphony of pleasure. It was another moment that came straight out of my 50's dreams. I had them all written down on a piece of paper in my room. Emma and I had made lists of our favorite things we would want to do from different eras (mine consisting solely of 50's activities). With Will stepping into my life we had completed about half. He was like my greaser. He was carefree and had the essence of danger, and loved his car more than anything. He was originally someone I hated and wanted nothing to do with, but now he was someone from my wildest dreams.

"I love this," I said pressing my head into the seat. Will smiled at me. I sat up like I had some sort of epiphany. "No Will, I seriously love this. I'm in a car from the fifties! The fifties! I'm dressed like a girl from that era and I'm in a car from the fifties!" I was practically squealing.

"I think you're in a car from the fifties," Will mocked.

"I can't thank you enough for this. It's perfect," I said, ignoring his comment. I sat back into the seat, letting the wind mess up my hair.

We pulled back into the body shop and put the car back. Rick walked up to us cleaning his hands with a greasy towel.

"Everything's running smoothly?" Rick asked Will.

"It checks out okay," Will answered. We stepped out of the car and walked over to him. Rick patted Will on the shoulder.

"Nice work Will. Frank should be happy tomorrow."

"Thanks. I've got to take Clara back home. I'll see you tomorrow." Will waved goodbye and headed for the door.

"Clara, can I talk to you?" Rick asked. I looked at Will who nodded that it was okay. He continued out the door. Rick leaned against one of the other cars. I could see the slight resemblance between Will and Rick. I wonder what Rick had done to get kicked out of the family?

"I understand that you and Will are together?" Rick said.

"Yes, Sir," I replied.

"Will is like a son to me. He's had a couple of rough patches in his life," Rick told me, "I do believe you will be good for him." I nodded.

"Thank you, Sir. I think Will gets misjudged a lot," I said. Rick nodded and went back to work. I walked outside, meeting Will inside his car.

"So?" Will said once I buckled in.

"He cares about you and seems a little stern," I said.

"Yeah, he can be a little rough around the edges," Will replied.

"Reminds me of someone else I know," I told Will with a smile. He smirked and drove me home.

~~*~~

"He's just amazing," I gushed as we listened to my Elvis record. Elvis made my heart swoon. The windows of my room were opened, sun shining in and letting us bask in it. It was the perfect weather today. And I was listening to the King with my favorite person.

"I'm amazing," Will said.

"Don't flatter yourself," I replied. I stood up and walked over to flip the record over. After both of my parents left for work, I invited Will over. We had spend the morning attempting to make pancakes and bacon, watching I Love Lucy, and now listening to each other's records. We both loved different eras and we both listened to each other talk about them. I started enjoying rock music more than just the greatest hits I've heard before. And Will, well I didn't know what he was enjoying from my era. He seemingly just started doing stuff that was about my era since the day I met him.

"You know, I don't know why I put up with your insults," Will said. He sat up on his elbows on my bed. Never would I have ever imagined a guy in my room, let alone my bed. If Emma could see this....

"Because you like me," I sang. Elvis started to sing again and I walked back over to Will.

"You know, I don't think I do. I think I had too much to drink that night and started admitting things-"

"Shut up!" I laughed. I jumped onto my bed beside him. Lacey lifted her head from my laying by my door. She briefly watched our interaction then laid her head back down.

"I might have even gotten a tattoo that night," Will continued. I rolled my eyes with a smile. Will turned over my wrist to look at my tattoo. My parents were surprised but once I explained it was for Emma, they were more accepting.

Will traced a finger over my tattoo, sending goosebumps down my arms. I shivered and pulled away.

"We've got a couple more hours before my parents come home. What do you want to do?" I asked.

"I've got a couple of ideas," Will said with a wink. I rolled my eyes. Sometimes he was such a guy. Will laughed at my reaction.

"Kidding," he assured me with his hands raised. I raised my eyebrows.

"Mmmhmm."