chapter four

He trailed his fingers down your bare arm. You twitched, lifting your head from where it rested on the pillow. You turned your head to see Kylo peeking over your shoulder, his eyes filled with a warmth that made you smile.

"Good morning, Princess," he mumbled, kissing the soft skin of your shoulder. "You were snoring again."

"Mm. Morning. Was I?" you asked, rubbing your eyes.

"Yes," he said, leaning back to let you turn on your back. You did so, reaching up to grab the back of his dark, wavy hair. You pulled your fingers through it playfully. He smirked. "Quite loud, too."

Your face flushed red. "Ugh, stop. It's not my fault that I snore. You should have thought about that before marrying me, Kylo."

He chuckled. "Your snoring doesn't make me regret marrying you," he assured you, wrapping his arm around your waist and placing a kiss on your cheek. "It's nice to wake up to it, honestly. It reassures me that you're still here."

You frowned. "Have you had another nightmare, Kylo?"

"A few," he admitted.

"You don't think-"

"They're not Force visions," he said quickly, shaking his head. "Thankfully, I think they're just reoccurring nightmares."

"Maybe you should talk about them," you suggested.

He shook his head again. "I... no. I couldn't."

"Because you don't want to?" you asked softly. He glanced at you, slight uneasiness making his eye twitch. "I don't to fight, love, and I'm not trying to. I just want to be sure that you are okay."

He took your hand in his and kissed it. You smiled as he pressed it to his bare chest and leaned over you. "I am okay," he said, and he captured his lips with yours.

A knock on the door broke you both apart. Kylo turned his head as the voice said, muffled and loud, that General Hux was waiting for him to board the Finalizer and prepare the ship with the navigation tools.

Kylo sighed and rubbed his face. "Force..."

He got out of bed and began to dress himself in his robes. As he laced up his boots and pulled on his gloves hurriedly, he mumbled to himself. You stood and began to search for a clean gown to wear for the day.

"Please tell me that you don't have a lot of plans today," he said, breathing heavily. "I just want to spend time with you."

"I cancelled my only meeting today," you said. "I was thinking that you and I could walk around the villages today. Visit the children... reassure our people that you are still very much a part of this kingdom."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Alright... but - did someone say that I wasn't?"

You turned red and shrugged. "It... might have come up during the last council meeting. Don't worry, though - I handled it."

He shook his head. Visibly annoyed, he ran his hands through his hair. "Force. Force!" He stood up and tossed his helmet across the room. It stopped at your feet.

You rolled your eyes and bent to pick it up. You dusted it off and walked carefully over to your husband, who was sitting at the side of the bed, head in his hands.

"Kylo," you said softly.

He glanced up. "I'm sorry," he said immediately. "I threw that too close to you. I didn't meant to lose my temper."

"It's fine," you assured him. You laughed softly and brushed his hair back. "Meet me in the dining room," you said, "and I'll be sure to save you some breakfast."