chapter seventeen

Your vision came back to you at the same time the pain hit you. You faintly felt the brush of a hand against your back as you were placed on the surface of a table.

You could hear yelling. The shouts were loud and angry, and yet you couldn't focus on even one of the words being spoken. Your eyelids fluttered closed and then open again, and you choked out a sound of pain.

The lights overhead were soon blocked by a silhouette. You blinked and it came into focus. You felt his fingers brush the hair away from your face and his full lips move with words you could not hear.

"Kylo," you gasped, raising your hand off of the table. He took it and held it tightly. "Kylo, they're coming."

"I know," he said. The sound of his voice hit your ears. You whimpered. "Hold on, Princess. Astoria is coming. You're going to be okay."

"Force," you hissed, another contraction hitting you. "Force. This hurts."

"I know," he said again. He could feel your pain. "Just keep still."

How could you keep still? With every contraction, your body wanted to fold in on itself. You felt your legs and arms cramp, your fingers curl, your teeth clamp together in a loud snap.

Finally, the sound of a door sliding open. Kylo barked orders at Astoria, but he seemed more worried than angry. Astoria was at your side in a minute, answering questions that Kylo was throwing at her.

She touched your head and you looked at her, eyes red and watery.  You cried out and whimpered, unable to speak through the pain.

"Is everything going to be okay?" you managed.

"Everything is going to be fine," she said. She sounded sure.

"The babies?"

"They're healthy," she said. "They're just ready to meet you. Earlier than we expected, but if they're ready, you need to be, too."

You nodded. "I'm... I'm ready."

"Good." She turned her head. "Bring in a medical droid! Now!"

Kylo leaned down and pressed the hand he was still holding to his chest. You looked at him and smiled, stretching your fingers so the back of them brushed across his jawline. You smiled, and he ducked his head down. Tears falling, lips trembling, he kissed your hand.

The contractions got worse over time. Each one seemed stronger than the last. With each one, you held your breath to keep from screaming and squeezed Kylo's hand with all of your might.

"Breathe," he would say softly. "Just breathe."

"I can't," you would rasp.

"You can," he said. "You can do anything, Princess. Look at you. You're doing to well."

You smiled through your tears of pain. You held onto his words as you felt another contraction tighten your core. If the pain was this bad, how come the babies weren't coming?

Astoria and the other medics were always busy. Kylo never left your side. He never dropped your hand. Hours went by, and he never did anything but hold you and talk to you.

You were breathing hard and slow, eyes closed, lips parted. Kylo watched you carefully, stroking his fingers up and down your arm soothingly.

"That was the worst one yet," you told him.

"It'll be over soon," he assured you.

You licked your dry lips. "Will it? We have been out this for hours. It feels like I'll see them."

He smiled slightly. "Astoria says you're about seven centimeters dilated," he said. "It should only be a few more hours."

You whined. "A few more hours?"

"You've gotten this far," he said. "You can hold on a little bit more."

You felt tears well in your eyes. "I can't. I can't. Kylo, I'm scared-"

"No," he said, strength rising in his voice. "Don't start that. You're going to get through this. You're stronger than anyone I know."

"How?" you breathed, opening your eyes and looking at him.

"What other princess do you know that can fight for her kingdom after losing everything? Or can sacrifice her life for a man she was forced to marry? Or can make the best home for her children out of the little she had, even when her husband left her all alone?

"You're so strong, Princess. You are the strongest person I have ever known. You hurt, but only if it will not bring others pain. You sacrifice your happiness daily for me, even when you know that I give nothing in return. You were going to let me go find my uncle even if it meant having the babies without me. That's strength, love. And you have it.

"You're not Force sensitive, and I know that makes you feel like you're weaker than me. But that is not true. Your courage, your drive to do things at my side despite the powers you lack prove that you're more than me in every way. I love you, ___, and I wouldn't tell you that you could do this unless I was absolutely telling the truth."

Your lips spread into a tired, blissful smile. He smiled back and leaned close, his lips brushing against your sweaty forehead. You tilted your face up slightly, welcoming his lips upon yours. He kissed you slowly and softly.

You broke away when you felt another wave of pain. You turned your head away and gasped out. Kylo whispered to you and let you squeeze his hand. When you felt it fade, you glanced at him with teary eyes.

"Breathe," he reminded you, and you did. He smiled. "See? You're so strong."

"For breathing?" you muttered. You rolled your eyes. "Do me a favor and tell the babies to take it easy on me. They must not realize their own strength."

He chuckled, but seriously turned to the round of your stomach. He touched it hesitantly, seeing your belly move as the babies responded to his touch. It was a sight he would never get used to.

"Hey, little ones," he whispered. "Try and be good for your mother, alright? She's working hard to bring you home. I know she's made a perfect home for you there, but we want to meet you both."

He kissed your stomach and turned back to you. You smiled at him, and you shut your eyes.

"It's only a matter of time," he said, and you sighed happily.