chapter six

"I love you," you said, clinging to his shoulders.

You and Kylo were standing off to the side of the landing platform. You were alone - Kylo had ordered all of the troopers to get on board or leave so he could say goodbye. The Finalizer was prepared for takeoff; just waiting for the Commander to walk on.

He had his hands on your waist and his forehead pushed against yours. His lips brushed against yours in a featherlight kiss - during which, his nose skimmed across your cheek. You laughed softly and pulled back to look at him.

Your eyes were warm as ever as you cupped his cheek for a brief moment. "Stay safe," you said sternly.

He nodded. "I will, Princess. Don't worry about me."

You smiled and shrugged. "You know I will, anyway."

He grabbed your shoulders. His hands trailed down your arms and stopped at your hands. He squeezed them reassuringly; his thumbs tracing circles around the tops of your hands.

"We won't be far," he reminded you. "We'll always be close enough so that I can feel you strongly through the Force. I'll be back in a few weeks. If anything happens where you need me beforehand, I will know, and I will be home as fast as I can."

"Is there any way you can send me messages?" you asked, grabbing his hands tighter before he could pull away. "I don't want to cause the Order any trouble, but-"

"Talk to the council," he said, nodding and smiling. "I've arranged something for us both."

You beamed.

He nodded towards the Finalizer. "They're waiting for me," he explained.

You didn't make a move to let him go. You shook your head and smirked. "Let them wait," you said, and you moved your hands to grab his face.

He did not object when you pulled his head down, giving yourself better access to his mouth. You pressed your lips hard against his, molding your entire face to fit his.

You wanted to stamp the kiss on him, leave it like a scar so he would remember you while he was gone. You wanted to be selfish for once and keep him at your side. You had done enough for the Order.

You broke away, gasping softly for air. He touched your cheek and brushed a strand of hair out of your eyes. A soft gesture of pure, eternal love. He smiled lovingly at you and then pulled away.

You touched your fingers to your still warm lips as the Finalizer lifted off the ground and sped towards the moons. The stars swallowed it up, sucking it in to the vastness of the galaxy. It disappeared into space, and you waved.

                            ...

You stepped inside of the council meeting room. Although it was late, they insisted on meeting. However, you couldn't help but assume that Kyan was the one that decided a late meeting was necessary.

"Princess, how great for you to finally join us," Kyan said, voice laced with sarcasm. "You are only several minutes late."

"Mind how you speak to her," Adrian snapped, his usually even voice rising in anger. "That is our princess you are speaking to."

"You're right," he said, but he didn't act like it. "My apologies, Princess."

You glared at him for a brief moment before looking down at the tray of objects they had left for you. You cleared your throat and folded your hands on the table, feeling one of the servants push a chair towards you. You sank down in it.

"I apologize for being late," you said, "but I was saying goodbye to my husband."

Kyan seemed more annoyed. His eyes flashed and he forced himself to look at the table. Adrian smiled and nodded, urging you to go on.

"Commander Ren said that I had several things to expect from him," you said.

"Yes," Jinny said, leaning towards you. She touched the edge of the tray. "He hopes this will make it easier to deliver messages. Also, he has given us a locked datapad with the names of the planets he will be searching and taking refuge on. He asked us to tell you that if you need him for anything, you can find him at one of those. You'll know which one he will be at if you keep track of the number of days he will be gone."

You smiled. "Thank you," you said.

Kyan scoffed. "It seems to me like your husband doesn't trust you to be independent, your highness."

"Quite the opposite," you snapped. "My husband and I like to keep in contact. It helps us sleep at night knowing that each of us is okay."

You picked up the datapad and turned it on. A blue-green screen lit in front of your face. After touching your finger to the front of the screen, the screen flashed, and you saw a list of planet names.

You smiled. It felt less terrible to be without him now. He was not far; he would be close to you. You had chances to see him when you wished and you could send him holographic messages.

"I think our meeting can be cut short tonight," you said, turning the screen off and looking up. "Have a good night, council."

"Goodnight, Princess," Jinny said.

Your maids came in to walk you out of the room. You took the tray with you and left, letting them trail behind. You listened to them as they read aloud your plans for the next two days. You would be busy, and for that, you were grateful.

As you laid down on your bed and covered up, your heart did not ache for Kylo. You felt comfortable knowing that he was close.

Minutes went by. Before sleep overcame you, you lifted your hand from your cocoon of blankets. Reaching to the left, your fingers grasped the plush top of his pillow. You pulled it to you and crushed it against your chest.

His scent filled your nose as you pressed the pillow to your face. Then, in utter comfort and bliss, you drifted off into one of the best slumbers you ever had.