SURPRISE!!!

A week later, when it's clear to Sev that I can't handle much more of what the rest of Slytherin house is throwing at me, he calls me into his classroom before I go to bed.
"I have a surprise for you Lizzy," He says, covering my eyes with a blindfold then leading me into his quarters. He leads me into a room that I don't recognize the feel of and takes the blindfold off. I look around and gasp in surprise. He made me my own room in his quarters. He turns me around and shows me paperwork with the minister's personal stamp of approval on it. I look closer and it's adoption paperwork.
"Oh my God Sev. You didn't?" I yell. He nods. I throw my arms around him and sob.
"Thank you, dad," I say. He wraps his arms around me and just holds me.
"No problem darling. I also had your name changed to Lillianna Nicole because I saw how much Elizabeth Severina was bugging you. You are now officially my daughter, Lillianna Nicole Snape," He says. Just then I grasp what this means.
"This means that mom's dead, doesn't it?" I ask him, tears running down my face. He nods and wraps his arms around me.
"I'm so sorry Lilly but yes," He says. He holds me for a half an hour while I sob into his robes. I calm down just as the headmaster calls to dad through the fireplace.
"Severus, now that Minerva is gone I need a new deputy. Would you be willing to take the position of deputy headmaster?" He asks. Dad shakes his head.
"I would love to Albus but as much as I want to you know I can't and you know why. Ask Filius or Pomona or how about Kingsley, your new transfiguration teacher. I'm sure he would love to take it. We were just talking about it earlier and he asked me if I knew who you were going to pick now that Minerva is gone," Dad says. Dumbledore nods.
"Good choice Severus. I'll ask him in the morning. Good night to both of you and I'm sorry about your mom, Lilly," He says.
"Thank you, Dumbledore," I say. I turn around and head into my room to change, hoping that my dad put my trunk in my room. He did along with two very full bags of girl things that I will need in the coming months but that he'll buy more of on an as needed basis. I change and get ready for bed. I lay down and manage to sleep until midnight but wake up because of a nightmare. I lay there for half an hour, my thoughts floating around in my head in a jumbled mess. I get up, throw on my black robe, slide my feet into my slippers, go out into the living room, walk through it into the kitchen, make myself a cup of tea, then turn on the CD player and play Lady Antebellum's 'Heart Break' at a low volume, with a flick of my wand and sit down at the table with my drink. Dad gets up a couple of hours later and finds me sitting in the living room, drawing by the light of the fire.
"Morning Lilly," He says, going into the kitchen with a frown on his face.
"Morning Dad," I say, continuing to draw. I've been up and ready since midnight. Dad gets ready then I put my Sketchbook and pencils in my bag and we head to breakfast. Dad stops me as I'm about to go in.
"You ok Lilly?" He asks. I shake my head.
"Do you mind if we talk about this over breakfast?" I ask him. He shakes his head and we go through the teacher's passageway that leads up to the head table. I sit in mom's old chair, right beside dad, because it's the only empty seat. 10 minutes into breakfast I get up, bolt out of the hall, out of the castle and down to the lake. I collapse on my knees by the lake, sobbing. Sitting in mom's chair at the head table doesn't feel right. Dad flies through the castle like a bat, looking for me and finds me at the lake when he looks through the window in the entrance hall. He runs down to the lake, ebony hair and black robes flying behind him as he makes his way down to me. He sits down next to me and wraps his arms around me.
"You ok Lilly?" He asks, concerned. I shake my head.
"It doesn't feel right sitting in mom's chair at the Head Table," I say. He sighs then gets an idea.
"How about I sit in your mom's chair and you sit in mine until you're comfortable sitting in your mom's chair," He says. I look up at him and smile.
"Sounds great dad. Thank you," I say. Just then I look at the time and realize that we're going to be late for first period. We get up, look at each other and bolt up to the castle and through the halls to the potions classroom, bolting in and getting in place just as the other students are coming down. I'm lounging in my chair, sipping a dragon fruit smoothie while working on the essay that dad assigned us for homework today. I finished today's potion last night before dinner and am now working on the essay that was going to be homework for tonight if we didn't finish both the potion and essay in class today. I have a free period after potions today so dad asks me to stay behind which I would have done anyway. He closes and locks the door with his wand.
"Are you ok Lilly?" He asks, worried. I shrug.
"Aside from the moodiness that comes with being on my period, I guess. Why?" I ask him, confused.
"You were awake when I got up this morning and you never are," He says. I sigh.
"I woke up from a nightmare around midnight then couldn't get back to sleep because my thoughts were all jumbled and spinning like crazy through my head," I tell him.
"May I see?" He asks. I nod and let my shield down. He looks and is surprised by what he finds. The next class I have is defense and our teacher is an idiot so I just go up to the room of requirement on the seventh floor and practice against a training dummy that I glamoured to look like the man who killed my biological father. We spar and eventually I beat him then sit down against the wall, sweating and exhausted. Professor Shacklebolt goes to ask my dad if he knows where I am when I don't show up for transfiguration which is my next period.
"Severus?" He asks, poking his head into dad's classroom shortly before the fourth period starts.
"What's up Kingsley?" Dad asks.
"Have you seen Lilly? She didn't show up for class," He says. Dad frowns.
"Did you check the room of requirement? Last I knew she was heading up there to practice her defense because Lockhart is a complete idiot," He says. Kingsley nods.
"Yeah, she wasn't there although there was a dummy blown to bits on the floor," He says.
"Oh dear. That's never good. I may know where she is. You have to approach her very carefully today and on her mom's anniversary. From what she told me today is the fourth anniversary of when her biological father was killed by his cousin, Harley di Angelo, for not following the 'Dark Lord'," Dad tells him. Kingsley sighs.
"Have you seen Lucius? I saw him earlier but I haven't seen him since and I think he's the only one, aside from you, who can get her to willingly vent her frustrations," He says.
"He left yesterday after seeing that everybody seemed to be treating her right and there was nothing to worry about. I think the only reason that anybody was even being civil with her is that he's one of the school governor's and everybody knows it's not a good idea to piss off a school governor. Christmas break is coming up though and Narcissa wanted me to bring her over for the week so that they can see each other. Draco might show his true colors then if he's somewhere he's comfortable," Dad says. Just then a piece of parchment appears in front of dad and it's from me.
"Dad, I'm down by the lake. You're going to need to come get me because I'm kind of going into shock as I write this to you after being thrown in the lake and having to flail my arms until I could get back into shallow water considering I can't swim. Never mind, here comes Flint and he's mad as a Hungarian Horntail. Guessing he saw it all. See you in a bit. Lilly," He reads. He finishes just as there's a knock on his door. He opens it and isn't surprised to see my perfect, and best friend, Marcus Flint, standing there with a shivering me in his arms.
"Come on in, Marcus. Take her through that door, wrap her in a blanket, sit her on the couch then start a fire, please. I'll be through in a minute," Dad tells him. He nods.
"Yes sir, Professor Snape," He says. He can't exactly call dad 'uncle Severus' in front of our Transfiguration teacher.