Chapter 2 - Awake

Wren awoke with a start, sitting up quickly. She scanned the room, confused. She slowly glanced down at her bandaged arms and ripped dress. Tears prick into her eyes, but disappear quickly, as she hears humming from beyond the wooden door on the other side of the room. She gets up silently, creeping towards the door and exiting the room. She walks down a hall that leads into a small and shabby kitchen. Leaning around the corner, she sees the woman that saved her from.. Them.. She stirs something that looks like soup.

Nova turns as she hears the soft breathe of the woman behind her. She rushes forward, surprising Wren. She places her hands on her shoulders. " Are you okay?" She says in a deep, sincere voice. Wren looked up at her noticing the worry and fear in the woman's deep brown eyes. She merely nodded. Nova lets her arms go to her sides. " Are you sure? You fell real hard..." She says, looking at her bandaged arms. Wren looked at the ground, closing her eyes again. "Y..yes." She says, glancing up at Nova.

Nova's heart melts at the sound of her voice. It sounds like heavan. She backs up slightly and sticks her hand out for her to shake. " My name is Nova, whats yours?" She asks, a smile on her face.

A pale blush floods Wren's face as she shakes her hand. "Wren." She says quietly, smiling softly. Nova smiled a little wider and motioned for her to sit. " I'm making some Potatoe soup, so you just sit tight." She says, turning back to the soup. Wren sits down in one of the three wooden chairs at the small, round table. " So," Nova begins nervously, " may i ask what happened? With them I mean." Nova says, glancing over her shoulder. Wren closes her eyes and lets out a small staggered breath.

-Flashback-

Wren looked out the carrage window lazily. Her mother and father bickered about legible princes in the kingdom. " Well she should stick to a primary colored kingdom. Its not okay to get with an already mixed kingdom." Her father, Lucas, said, angrily looking at his queen. " She should be able to choose her prince. We just need a strong figure to court her." Her mother, Brittany, said. She looks down at her small daugther, who looked mildly angry. " Whats wrong, honey?" She says, placing a hand on her daughter's knee. Wren looked at her parents for a moment. " What if i don't want a prince?" She says, nervously glancing at the floor. For a moment, all was silent. Then suddenly King Lucas bursts out laughing. " Not..A prince?! What do you want, an elephant?!" He bellowed, shaking with laughter. Queen Brittany, on the other hand, looked quite serious. " Are you telling us you want a.. Princess, Wren?" She asked, looking at her seriously. Wren stared at the ground and nodded briefly. The laughing stopped immediately. Suddenly the carriage they rode in stoopped abrutly. " What the hell..." Muttered King Lucas. He looked out the window and pulled it back in immediately. Fear was the only emotion. The queen looked at him confused. Sudden realization struck her like a horse. She looked horrifed as they heard the low growling of destroyers coming closer. They heard the inhuman scream of the driver, who was becoming one of Them. The king looked at his daughter and wife. He squited his eyes in determination and suddenly flew out of the carriage. Wren watched in horror as destroyers chased him before pouncing. A shrill scream escaped her mother's lips, attracting the destroyers. Wren grabbed her mothers hand as they fled the carriage. But her mother was of an older age, and she realized she was just slowing the princess down. They were from one of the most high kingdoms (Green), so Wren was very important. Her mother made a decision and threw herself to the ground. " No! Mom!" Wren yelled, destroyers closing in. " Run, my sweet princess." She whispered. Wren looked at her, tears streaming down her face. She nodded and started to run once more.
-Flashback end-

Wren looked down at the table after finishing her story. Tears could be heard pattering on the table. Nova look at Wren with tears filling her eyes too. She walked over and engulfed her in a hug. Wren hugged back, crying hard. Nova thought for a few moments, then pulled back. She pulled back from Wren, wiping away her tears with the pad of her thumb. " Nothing will ever hurt you again. I will protect you." Nova said to her, a blush forming on both woman's face. Suddenly a loud crash could be heard from the other side of the house.