Chapter Three: Alone

Allowing my feet to dangle over the edge of the pristine marble below me, I emit a soft sigh, eyes fluttering over the silver surface of the water as it twinkles in the speckling sunlight. That meeting was tiring, and a part of me wished I could just walk away and pretend that none of this was happening to me. But it is, and there's nothing to be done. The king is trying to conceive a possible solution, but it doesn't look as though any will arise soon.

Nonetheless, the Zora Domain is calming, so I've managed to convince the princess to let me stay a little longer, under the impression that perhaps time away from the castle will relieve my mind and clear my thoughts. That way, we might stand a chance at combating these dark marks shrouding my skin. 

Letting out a heavy sigh, I quickly catch my chapped lip between my teeth, my frigid fingertips plucking at the leather bound around my hands, concealing some of the said markings from sight. Until I peel away the material, revealing the symbols I'm doing my hardest to contain. But they're everywhere, growing and swelling with what feels like every passing hour, never giving me a second to relax. Because, constantly, I'm forced to think of what could happen should they devour my light completely.

"Link? I thought I might find you here," a soft voice suddenly hums from behind me, prompting my sapphire gaze to cast over my shoulder, immediately meeting with the swirling, golden pools that are Prince Sidon's eyes. Offering him a smile, I merely chuckle and turn my glance back down to the water, my feet engulfed by the tickling tremors of the glittering surface. "This was where we fought Ruta together, wasn't it? I remember it so fondly," he chuckles, the pattering of his feet distinct against the marble.

"Yes. For the odd moment, I thought the downpour would drown me. And then you'd appear by my side and offer your back. I couldn't have done any of it without you," I hum, seeming to rarely speak unless in the presence of someone I feel a strong connection to. Sidon and I knew each other before the Great Calamity, and our friendship holds a special place in my heart. A bond not so easily severed, despite the darkness festering upon my skin.

"Well, I was willing to die for my people. As were you. So I have to protect you with my life. Just like my sister always would. And did." And, just like that, the inevitable silence settles, the gentle smile that once possessed my lips twisting into the thin line they're all but used to by now. I understand what he meant to say, but even thinking of Mipha brings me pain. Because it simply reminds me of all the other innocents whose lives were unjustly taken.

Immediately noticing the drop in atmosphere, Sidon fumbles on the spot for a moment before releasing a sigh, slipping into the water almost dejectedly. Only to abruptly extend a hand, ensnaring my ankle before I can protest, sending me crashing into the shimmering expanse alongside him. Emitting a hearty chuckle, the Zora prince beams a mischievous grin in my direction, clearly amused by my dissatisfied expression. "I'm sorry, Link. I didn't realise how speaking of my sister affected you. Come, you need to begin relaxing. Darkness thrives on negativity."

He's right. I'm allowing more and more malice to enter my mind by the passing second. How can I expect to even begin to fight off this darkness if I'm practically feeding it with my own harrowing thoughts? So, I do all I can to erase them from my mind, merely chuckling and swimming closer to Sidon, eventually using my hands to hook around his shoulders, leaving me to hang off of him.

"You enjoy swimming together?"

"Very much so. Come, there's a spot just above the waterfall with a perfect view of Ruta in all its glory," he excitedly chirps, bringing an element of happiness to me that I can't quite explain. All I know is that it causes my chest to tighten in gradual flutters, the smallest of smirks plucking onto my lips.

"Then let's go. Although, I'll have to ride on your back. I left my Zora tunic with the princess," I explain, crawling into the dip of Sidon's back and settling myself, feeling as nestled and comfortable as the day we fought Ruta together. And, with that, we're off, the speed at which the Zora prince swims unparalleled by any I've witnessed before, causing the thrill of the movements to surge through me each time he leaps and churns through the water.

Yet, it's nothing compared to the bliss that accompanies our ascent up the waterfall, the tumbling liquid sparkling like a flurry of rhinestones, bounding off of the slick rocks in shatters of perfection as we excel past, cutting through the stream utterly effortlessly. It almost feels like a shame when we finally reach the pool atop the outcrop we've chosen to claim for the evening, presenting us with a beautiful view of the sun peacefully setting as Ruta's glorious backdrop.

"It's quite astounding, isn't it? You know, Link, I wanted to bring you up here after you'd taken back Ruta. But I knew you had other duties to tend to. I'm glad we have this chance, here and now," he explains, leaning back with a gentle sigh, the wine pigment of his still-wet scales shifting in the amber sunlight. "You know, my people often call this area the 'Lovers' Pool'. Quite a ridiculous notion, but I always found it entertaining," he giggles, his curious eyes fluttering in my direction. "Link, I may not be able to heal your wounds, but I will be a friend through this. Whatever you need, I shall provide," he murmurs, a sudden honesty to the tone of his voice.

"I-... Thank you, Sidon. I know I can rely on you for anything."

"Yes. Anything. I will always believe in you, Link. Link the Hylian."

"Link the Hylian indeed."

~

Overlooking the Zora Domain, a tender smile to my lips, I spot a sight in the distance, the gentle tinkling of the beads adorning my headpiece chattering in the breeze. My brother, please care for Link. 

Show him a happiness I never could.

~

A/N

I'm so glad I wrote this chapter as quickly as I did. I'm getting used to the style in which this story is written, so hopefully I'll be able to write more much more often (especially with uni almost done for the summer)

I hope you liked the chapter, and the music linked is a gorgeous piece from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team. It just fit the mood of the chapter ^^

Until next time n.n