Chapter Eleven: A Dark Place

I would say that, by the time night fell, I couldn't blame Sidon for dozing off so quickly. I, however, have found it near impossible to sleep, my eyes focusing on the swaying moon hanging from its personal expanse of navy, accompanied only by its sparkling, silver friends. I'm more alone than it will ever be, that much is for certain.

At least, that's how I feel until I glance over at Sidon, and a warm smile touches upon my lips. He's been so good to me since we reunited, despite how miserable and blue I've acted. When doom and destruction is looming over you, it's difficult to crack a smile. Yet, he does, and he makes it seem so effortless. It must be nice to have such a bright sense about you when all feels so horribly hopeless.

Knowing that I'm going to be spending the night awake, I grab my cloak and throw it over my shoulders, taking one last glance at the sleeping prince before exiting my home. If he wakes and finds me beside him, avoiding slumber, I know he'll surely scold me. Or worse, be worried about me. I'm not worth his fretting, and he needs the rest I can't grant myself.

For, if it isn't nightmares that keep me awake, it's stress. The knowledge that I could snap at any moment. If my body decided to become conscious during unconsciousness, I could very well end up hurting Sidon, or even- No. No, I can't think about another possibility. A world without him. To me, that future just doesn't exist.

With a stern shake of my head, and a small rub of my tired eyes, I take it upon myself to light a torch and head north towards the hill, gaze falling upon the little laboratory settled at the top. Purah is the only one I've only lightly consulted about this whole incident. Maybe, just maybe, she has some insight she can share with me that might help me fight off this swelling darkness.

You really wish to rid yourself of me?

I jump, swirling around on the spot. And there he stands, leaning against a wall, eyes glowing crimson in the darkness. Myself, dark as the twilight surrounding us. I almost can't make out the form, but there's no mistaking it. That's me, facing me. No. That's Ganon, stealing my form. Not me. I can't ever let myself forget that.

"You can't pull me into any more traps."

Oh? Well, what if I already have?

His chuckle is eerie to the ear, ringing with an ethereal shriek that causes my entire form to flinch. Even his footsteps echo with screeches.

"What do you mean by that?"

You're always in my trap. You always have been. Since the day I killed all of your friends, everybody you loved, I've been inside your head. You escaped the castle, but you never escaped me. The memory of me. The terror I'd caused, and the pain you'd suffered at my hand. In my final moments, that gave me the strength I needed to cling to you. And what a wonderful host I've found in you, Link.

"Stop it," I hiss, hands bundling up into tights fists that cause the leather of my gauntlets to release a startled squeak. "You speak nonsense."

You know, your father taught you well.

"My... Father."

Without him, you never would've made it so far. But he failed you in the end. He failed to protect you from me. Your father was a disgrace to Hyrule.

"ENOUGH!" I practically scream, ripping the Master Sword from its sheath and slicing through the shadow of myself, pupils like pinpricks. Except, when they focus, the image is gone, nothing but the soft chattering of slumbering hens answering my desperate ears. It wasn't real. And yet, I fell for it.

"Link? Is everything alright?" Turning around, I quickly find myself facing a sleepy-looking Pruce, who can't help but stare almost worriedly at my drawn sword. "Is the village under attack?"

"No. No, not at all," I stammer, apologising for waking him as I slip my sword into its awaiting sheath, shame welling up within me. Thankfully, he just nods in understanding and heads back into the general store, leaving me alone once more. Then again, with Ganon festering inside me, I suppose I'm never alone. Father. You never failed me. If anything, I have failed you.

And that is the moment I realise there are tears along my waterline, budding like sorrowful gemstones around my sapphire irises. Just as they shatter like glass against my gauntlets, splattering the leather with a silver sheen. Usually, I would fight it. But, tonight, I let the pain consume me, sinking to my knees in the shadow of the night, and crying my misery away. Tears are a force I've always tried to fight. When I lost everything, I remained stoic, because I had little choice. But now, I am alone. Now, I have nothing to protect.

So I let them come until they cease with the sunrise, a blinding, golden light flooding the area I've reserved for my tears. The warmth dusts my skin, drying the dampness in mere moments. I know Ganon is still here, even in the light, but I like to think he's much weaker now. Maybe he isn't, but that belief will keep the hope within me aflame.

A hope that drives me to my feet, carrying me back towards my little home. Yet, as suddenly as I rise, I'm quickly halted in my tracks, a soft giggle emitting from behind me.

"Linkie~! Now why didn't you tell me you were home?" Purah chirps, gently beaming before quickly glancing around. "Nobody's awake yet, right? I don't want them to see me," she squeaks, pushing up the red frames balanced on her flushed cheeks. She must have rushed, judging by how out of breath she is. "Come. It's been such a long time and-"

"-May I join you in an hour or so? I have to make sure Sidon is alright."

"Sidon? Oh my goddesses, you mean the Prince Sidon? Oh, he's such a strapping Zora, how lucky you are to be in his company~!" She suddenly squeals, that childish tone of hers piercing my ears. And, for a moment, I swear I feel a twinge of jealousy. Or perhaps protectiveness. Why that is, I can't tell. "Tell you what, you come visit me with the prince in tow. I can't wait to meet him!"

"If you insist." I'm not sure why a part of me doesn't want to bring him. Why I feel so selfishly defensive of him. Why do I want to keep him to myself? And there's another thing that's so frustratingly foreign.

Ganon isn't the one evoking these negative feelings.

"Brilliant. I look forward to it~"

I can't say I agree.

~

A/N

Oooooh things are getting spicy. Link's starting to hallucinate and it's really just not a fun time for him :O

Also yes, this is me pretending it didn't take a month or two to publish another chapter heh... Sorry.

But anyways, I'm really hoping to write the next chapter a bit quicker this time, just because I already kind know what's going to happen and it's gonna be fuuuuuun.

Thank you so much for reading and...

Until next time n.n