v.Strength Within the Heart

दिल के भीतर शक्ति[ Strength within the heart ]

दिल के भीतर शक्ति
[ Strength within the heart ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Istanbul ]

" How did you do it ?"

Lisa looked up from her book, fingers delicately sliding her bookmark in place before closing it.

Stephen stood warily infront of her, the key dangling from his worn out fingers.

" I did everything the Ancient One had taught me, I focused - concentrated with every fiber of my being. I meditated, I even used a couple of mantras. But it didn't work - tell me, how did you do it?"

His eyes held a hint of irritation, and she could see that impatience was starting to get the better of him. His foot tapped against the wooden floor, and Lisa stood.

" Here, let me guide you."

" You could've done that sooner."

" You could've asked me sooner."

She raised a brow at him, challenging him with her smirk. He grumbled, and followed her towards the door.

By now the sun was starting to sink under the horizon, and the last rays of sunlight dimmed against the room.

" What was on your mind when you held the demir mitfah ?" She asked.

" Nothing, my mind was void of any distractions.It needs absolute focus, does it not ?"

She chuckled," That is exactly your mistake, Stephen."

She pushed the key against his palms, and guided his fingers as they slid inside the keyhole.

"A wise man once told me, that focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."

" What are you saying ?"

" I'm saying," she sighed," That instead of clearing your mind, focus on a specific memory. One that will elicit an emotion-"

" Emotion ? I thought -"

" You thought, but the truth Stephen, is that certain types of magic is too powerful to only be based off the power of the mind," she turned to hover her palm above his chest," It also requires the power of the heart. "

They were only inches away, and Stephen could hear their breaths began to merge in sync. He could see his own reflection against her hazel eyes, and for a moment he couldn't move.

" Do not be mistaken," she whispered," In the mystic arts, channeling your emotions along with you magic does not make you weak, it makes you strong."

She turned back to face the door, and Stephen snapped out of his trance, letting her words sink against him.

" Now, picture a scene in your mind. Whether it might be joy,grievance or agony."

" Rage ?"

" You may, some people claim that rage is a fuel that burns out too quickly. But I beg to differ," she cautiously guide his hand as it twists the key," To me rage is like an energy; it cannot be destroyed, only converted. It can be converted to determination, perseverance, strength, even hope."

The edges of his lips curled upwards at the comparison," You are a woman of science ?"

" That is a story for another time."

"Do you promise to tell me once I succeed ?"

" I cannot make promises I cannot keep.Now focus, Stephen."

Stephen reflected on the time that he had lost his hands.

He recalled the outpour of anger he had lashed against the people around him, the moment they told him that it would be impossible to fix his hands.

The gush of despair that had engulfed him when he couldn't even write his own name.

" Control it," her voice soothed,"Harness it, use it to channel your energy towards the demir mitfah."

Stephen inhaled deeply, and he let his fingers curl tighter around the silver surface of the key. He could feel his emotions ebbing like the ocean tide. It crept against his fingertips slowly, then all at once.

The door unlocked with a click, and it creaked open, revealing a sight that made Stephen breathlessly laugh.

" It worked."

Lisa couldn't tell if it was the warmth of his breath against the pulse of her skin that made her unwillingly shiver, or if it was the sudden gush of wind coming from behind the door.

The howling wind rolled down from the peaks of the Himalayas, and snow was starting coat the doorframe.

" Well done Stephen," she beamed, impressed at how quick it took him.

" Perhaps it is because you were lost, back then. Wandering in the dark."

She held back her tongue, and hushed the voices inside her head.

It would be a shame to wipe off that smile of his, therefore she decided that it would be a story for another time.