Chapter 4: Regna Ferox

"Welcome to Regna Ferox."

Behind them, the drawbridge began to rise with a difficult groan, the old chains straining on their pulleys as Raimi nodded to the guards. It came to a halt with a hollow click that seemed to echo through the foundations of the ancient Feroxi palace, disturbing a bit of dust from between the mortar here and there.

"I'll go let the khan know that you're here. I believe she may be expecting you." The general gave them a small bow, and then headed off to the left.

"She?" Chrom said, surprised.

"Can a lady not be the leader of a warrior realm?" Elysa said dryly.

"You know I find it... difficult to converse with women," Chrom muttered. "I'd think it might be best if you, Lissa, and I spoke with the khan alone. Frederick, take the others and go find sleeping accommodations for us for tonight and rest up, would you? It's been a long march."

"Chrommmmm," Lissa whined, "as if I don't need to rest up too?"

He looked at her sternly. "You represent House Ylisse," he said. "Your presence at meetings like these is part of your responsibility as part of the royal family."

Lissa huffed, but did not protest further. She watched with a scowl on her face as the other Shepherds moved off down the path along the inner roads. Turning back to the towering keep, she tipped her head back to look up at the ramparts, shielding her eyes from the sun with her hands. The palace was built more like a coliseum than a place for habitation, shaped like a great hollowed-out circle. The ramparts were lined with multi-colored flags and guards patrolling the perimeter, with archers peeking out from every tower. "Should we go in? Or wait for Raimi to come back?"

"Odds are that the khan is training," Chrom said. "Perhaps it would be best for us to enter and wait for her in the main hall?" Lissa and Elysa half-nodded, half-shrugged in agreement, and followed him as he approached the keep. The guards pulled the tall iron doors open for them as they stepped forwards.

The grand hall was built of the same pale-greenish stone that the rest of the castle was hewn from. The center was lined with a thick, dark blue carpet, which led up to a set of stairs and a raised area, where there was a long table with several chairs lined up on one side. Braziers flanked the carpeted aisle, illuminating the space with flickering light.

From the far side of the hall, one of the side doors opened, and dark-skinned, blonde-haired woman in red armor stepped through. Her helm was tucked under one arm, and a sword swung at her waist. She wiped the sweat off of her brow with the back of her free hand, and huffed audibly. Catching sight of the Ylisseans, she made her way across the hall. "Greetings, Prince Chrom." Her confident stride was matched by her even, deep tone.

Chrom gave a small bow. "You're the— the khan, I presume?" Elysa elbowed him.

"One of them, yes. I am Flavia, the east-khan. My apologies for the troubles at the border. Please know that you are welcome in Regna Ferox." She said formally, her brown eyes filled with amicable warmth.

"Is it true that bandits posing as Ylisseans have been ransacking your border villages?" Elysa asked.

"Yes," Flavia said, her jaw set. "Plegian dogs. We found documents proving as much on the corpse of one of their captains. Plegia must see some benefit in raising tensions between your kingdom and ours."

Chrom cursed under his breath. Elysa elbowed him again. "Forgive me, Your Grace," he mumbled. "That was... indelicate of me."

Flavia laughed. "To hell with delicacy! Here in Ferox, we appreciate plain speech."