Chapter 9: A Dark Past

"Ho, boy!"

Basilio's booming voice caught Chrom's attention. He jumped slightly, cleared his throat, and composed himself before he turned around. "How may I help you?"

The dark-skinned man was striding down the long hall to the table that he, Frederick, Flavia and Lissa were seated at, flanked by a handful of soldiers. Behind him stood a grubby-looking man, accompanied by a young girl with long green hair, tied back with a pink bow. "This scoundrel claims he's looking for you."

The man scowled. "Oy, scoundrel?" he exclaimed, "Gregor not scoundrel!" He looked at his companion. "Wee one, tell them! Gregor is good man!"

Basilio growled. "We ought to trust the word of you and this poor child you've kidnapped, eh?"

The girl piped up. "I'm not a child," she said pointedly, but not impolitely. "I'm a manakete, and I'm likely far older than you. You can call me Nowi." She looked at Chrom. "And yeah, Gregor is a pretty good guy! He's been looking out for me since the Grimleal caught me."

A manakete... she's a dragonkin? Chrom studied the girl's youthful face, his eyes traveling to the glowing orb in her hands.

"The Grimleal?" Frederick stood, his face stern. "Are they active in these parts once more?"

Flavia shook her head. "Nay, but in Plegia, there has been word of their revival."

"That's nothing but bad news," Frederick muttered, plopping heavily back into his chair.

"But the girl is here, and safe!" Lissa pointed out. "So that's good news, at least. But how come you're looking for Chrom?"

Gregor winced. "Ah, Gregor have more of the bad kind of news. Grimleal lady, she sent Gregor to—"

Nowi elbowed him in the side. By Gregor's yelp, Chrom could assume that the little girl's elbows were quite bony and painful. "She wasn't Grimleal, remember? She wanted to help." Gregor pouted, rubbing his ribs.

"Yes, yes. Fake-Grimleal lady, then. She told us find Chrom, tell him Ylissean exalt taken by Plegians. Prince will rescue exalt, no?"

There was a collective, sharp intake of breath. Chrom's heart plummeted. "No," he said, "it can't be..."

"The lady didn't look like she was lying," Nowi offered.

"Who exactly was this 'fake Grimleal lady?'" Basilio folded his arms. "How are we to know this isn't some sort of trap?"

"If trap, Gregor not paid very well in compensation for dangerous job!" The mercenary exclaimed. "Lady say Prince will pay Gregor more for good information."

"What was her name?" Frederick pressed.

"Uh, Gregor trying to remember...." He tapped his chin.

Nowi sighed. "Elysa," she said. "Her name was Elysa." She held out her hand to Chrom. He stepped forwards, and opened his palm. The girl dropped a small, weighted object into his open hand. Chrom felt a new wave of emotion surge over him as the crystal caught the light.

"Oy!" Gregor exclaimed. "Wee one stole meager payment from Gregor?" He looked at Nowi, his expression hurt. Nowi laughed.

"You're hired," Chrom said, his voice hoarse. "And you'll be compensated." Gregor grinned widely.

"See?" Nowi said, smiling up at him, "it all worked out!"

Chrom's hand closed around the pendant. "He's telling the truth." Chrom turned to the others, his brow furrowed, knuckles white around his closed fist. Lissa looked at him curiously. "We must march to Plegia at once. Emmeryn is in danger – and I think Elysa might be, too."