Five: Bananas and Barriers

A/N: Sorry about the delay. Enjoy!

When Trace bumped into the doorframe and tripped into the common room, the place was in chaos.

The tables had been adorned with all kinds of fruit and vegies. Sandwiches, pastries and various meats were presented on china plates. It was as if they'd tried to find as many different types of food as possible and fill all possible table space with it. Trace was overwhelmed with emotion.

But so were the other girls.

"Food!" Angel screamed from where she'd decided to sit on one of the tables, before trying to fit a whole muffin into her mouth at once. Trace recognised her voice as the one who'd called out in the first place.

Another girl jumped up beside her, grabbing one of the sandwiches and chomping down. Countless others followed suit, gathering as much of the food as they could in their arms, and running off with it.

It was utter chaos. Despite her hunger, Trace was too distracted by the sight of it all to actually go after any food. She started laughing.

"Enough!" someone yelled, finally breaking through the madness. The room fell still, and Trace searched for the one who'd spoken.

"You'll all be sick if you carry on like this; we haven't eaten in days."

Harriet. Of course. It was Harriet.

"Oh, c'mon, Harri. Let us have a little fun," Angel laughed, now lying across the table.

"You have as much fun as you want," Harriet allowed. "But you'll be the one who's sorry when you're spewing it all back up."

"Gross," Trace muttered.

"Just take a little at a time," Sonya suggested.

Voice of reason, Trace's mind supplied, much to her dismay.

"Wait a little bit, then go back for more if you still need it."

The girls agreed to this, and began taking small samples of food back to where they'd been hanging out before. Trace took a couple of things and headed back to her bunk, climbing up to the top. The other girls in her group followed soon after.

Alana walked in and started laughing. "Someone has a favourite food," she said, staring pointedly at the food in Trace's hands.

Trace looked down to see that she was holding one banana, a slice of banana cake, and a packet of banana chips.

"You have a problem," Lara smirked. "The first step is admitting it."

"I like bananas," Trace admitted. "Always have. Always will. Anybody who has a problem with that will have to take it up with me."

"Noted," Lara grinned, sitting down to enjoy a chicken sandwich. The others all dug into their own food as well. Trace savoured every bite of her own. She put the banana chips in her pocket for later, knowing she'd need them at some point during the hell that was to follow.

That hell became a little more real two hours later, when someone yelled from the main room again.

"Who are you?" the voice asked.

Trace knew immediately what was going on, and jumped down from her bunk, ready for drama. She locked eyes with Teresa, who gave her a look as if to say 'don't start anything'; Trace wouldn't. Not yet.

She hurried through to the main room, searching frantically until she found him. That vile excuse for a human-being. One of the few characters who was more evil than Teresa.