Chapter 3

A/N-Please vote and comment on the story if you liked it! It's entered for the Watty Awards so I need all the votes I can get! Thank you!

~

I waited patiently in the room that they held me in. It was lavish, with wood paneling and carpeted floors. Of course, I had been used to a more luxurious lifestyle, compared to the others, but I couldn’t help but appreciate my surroundings.

The first people who entered the room were my parents. Mother was hysterical. She had barely handled Aldo going into the arena years ago. She had called him an idiot for volunteering. I remained quiet the whole time when it had been Aldo in my place during his Hunger Games. I only gave him a quick hug when the Peacekeepers ushered us out when out three minutes were up.

Father was the only one who spoke coherently. “Listen to your brother. If he managed to do it, then you can.”

There really wasn’t much to say that I already didn’t know. I didn’t need to tell them anything on survival, since they basically had a life that was far better than they could hope. I was the only flaw in that plan. I ended up being a tribute in this otherwise picturesque life that our family had obtained.

“We love you.” Mother said, as her final parting. Their kisses and embraces were the only things that could have been exchanged at this point.

I didn’t expect any more guests, really. I had friends, but I doubted that they would all be allowed to see me. Besides, they must have been just as shocked as I was.

Two victors came in as my second set of visitors. Travis and Eula both looked grave as they sat down to give me more tips on surviving. I used to have dinners at their houses, and I was close to their families. I was friendly with almost every victor and anyone who lived with them.

“Don’t be too sure of yourself. Arrogance is something that will be your downfall in the arena,” Eula said. “I know that you’re skilled with a variety of weapons, so I’m not too worried about that.”

“I’m sure Aldo won’t forget to tell you about the basics, so I won’t trouble you with those,” Travis said in a rush. “Use your physical attributes to your advantage. You may be a Career, but people will overlook your skills because you will appear as just a pretty face.”

“Come home, Serena.” Eula smiled kindly. “That’s the best advice that we can both give.”

“Your parents don’t deserve any more of this. Parents should never outlive their children.” Travis must have been thinking of his only child as he said this. “A comfortable life would mean nothing to them, if they have a child lost to them. Do not ever give up just because you know that they are living comfortably.”

The Peacekeepers took them away before they could get in another word. I felt so overwhelmed. I didn’t know how many visitors I was allowed, but someone else entered. It was Caleb, one of my brother’s friends.

When he entered, he had an intense look in his eyes. I knew that he had been interested in me since last year. He was four years older than me, and my brother had taught him how to combat with a trident, so that was how they were friends.

I didn’t have any interest in him though, and I stated this. This didn’t put him off though. He kept coming back for more and he became a comic relief.

Before I could ask what he wanted, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me full on the lips. I didn’t struggle. He was the one who pulled away. “I’m sorry, but I had to do that, just to know what it felt like.”

“Don’t worry. That was the first someone made me feel good today.” I smiled at him. “My parents were crying, and the other victors were giving me tips on how to survive. I really just don’t want to think about it right now.”

“You’ll make it Serena. Aldo won’t let anything happen to you, as long as he has any say in it.”

“Don’t expect too much from me, not this time.” I gave him a last kiss and then he was taken away from me as well.

I felt bad for Xavier. It was true that Aldo would do anything to get me out of there. That meant that any sponsors, and I was sure even at the start that I would already have some because of the district I was from, who would invest in me had their gifts that would end up with me. Aldo would focus on keeping me alive. I had that unfair advantage of having a mentor who wanted to keep me alive.

The car ride to the train station was short. Expectedly, there were numerous cameras that would want a glimpse of our faces.

Once I got out of the car, I maintained that smile and gave direct contact to wherever lens I could find. I didn’t care if the flashes blinded my eyes. I wanted the people to get a good look at my face.

Xavier and I followed Lolly into the train. The inside was even more lavish than the room in the Justice Building. I was directed to my sleeping quarters, and I had an assortment of different outfits that I could select. In District 4, I had a variety of swimming suits, and light clothes to overlap that with. In the drawers of my quarters here, I had different styles in a variety of colors. I chose a light green sleeveless shirt, pants that were easy to move in, and leather boots.

After I got settled, I headed to the dining room. On the table, there was an assortment of dishes laid out. My mouth watered at the sight. We had the money to purchase what meals we wanted, but Mother wasn’t a very creative cook. She was most comfortable with seafood. I never missed a meal, but the scents of unknown meals just made me realize that I hadn’t eaten anything for breakfast, in fear that it might all come up during the reaping. Xavier was already having his first course, which was pumpkin soup. I sat down next to him and started eating.

“Well, it’s been an exciting day so far, hasn’t it?” Lolly said, as her plate was changed with a new course meal.

Having different courses for just one meal? What a waste of food.

Just then, Mari and Aldo entered the room together, both looking ominous. I had never seen Aldo in such a bad mood. As he sat down on the table opposite me, he didn’t even bother to talk.

During the rest of dinner, all the noise that could be heard was Lolly rambling on and on about how ecstatic she was and how sure she knew that this was going to be one memorable Games. She commented on how interesting how a sibling of a victor was contending as well.

Aldo looked like he was about to smack her when she mentioned it.

After dinner, we watched the reaping of the other districts. I took note of the people who I would find a threat. There were the tributes of 1 and 2, absolutely. Both tributes from 2 were volunteers, and they had to resolve the whole issue in a complicated way because those who were reaped wanted the honor of it. In the end, the volunteers won out. There was a girl from 5 who looked slight, but then I knew that meant that she was fast, if she had the stamina for it. There was a big burly guy from 7, who was eighteen. That was tough luck for him that he got chosen on his last year.

There were a few people who caught my attention just because I felt pity for them. There was a boy from 3 who was only thirteen, and he had a slight limp as he walked. What could have caused that; it didn’t seem to be something temporary. There was a girl from 10 who burst in tears once she got on stage. It seemed pathetic, this sniveling girl of 15.

“Take a good long rest today,” Mari said after the program over. She was the only one between the two mentors that could look Xavier and me in the eye. “We will discuss strategy tomorrow. You two deserve some time to relax.”

Aldo stood up and left the room before I could even call his name.

Walking back to the room, I felt more alone than I have ever felt in my life. I rolled up under the covers and fell into dreamless sleep.