Chapter 25

When the voice of Claudius Templesmith pervades the sound of my cries, I almost don’t hear it, “I present to you the victor of the 45th Hunger Games, Serena Elodea of District 4!”

Everything was wrong.

The phrase sounded like I was supposed to celebrate. How could I? The only boy I’ve ever truly loved was gone. I had nothing except memories that would torture me.

The hovercraft came out of nowhere.

They had to ply my fingers away from his body. I felt empty. They sat me down on one of the chairs as they took him away.

His blood was still on my hands.

I didn’t notice anything. I just stared straight ahead of me, to where he last disappeared. I kept telling myself that he would walk around the corner and smile with his dimples and wrap his arms around me. I waited. Nothing happened.

I still had his blood on my hands.

When we arrived at the roof of the Training Center, they guided me to my quarters here. I felt a stab of pain, remembering that I woke up next to him the last time that I was here.

I didn’t expect to come back alive.

They kept me in my quarters for the next few days, and had tests on me. I didn’t refuse. What else was there, really? They removed any scars that had appeared on my body. They made my skin flawless again. They nourished my hair to make it bouncy and shiny again.

I had no use for it. The only boy who had the guts to go near me when I looked like this was gone.

Gone.

A wave of tears would erupt every time he infiltrated my brain, with his stories, his smile, and his last admission.

I woke up one day and saw that the outfit laid out was what I wore in the arena. Was this a sick joke?

I was probably allowed to go out of my room now, because I looked perfect on the outside. I put on the costume, disliking my comfort in it. How could it be that I had been celebrating the fact that the arena was mine a few weeks ago? It had been a curse.

I ended up engulfed by the people who I thought I would never see again. Aldo. Mari. Lolly. Alta. Paisley. Scarlett. Circa.

They all congratulated me, except for Aldo, who kept glancing at me to see my reaction. I didn’t know what was on my face. I just knew that I hadn’t bothered talking or moving any facial features.

My prep team headed into my room and had me take a shower. They did everything for me. Afterwards, they did what they usually did, chattering as they buffed my nails, styled my hair and made up my face.

I tuned them out because I couldn’t see anything important about whatever it was they were talking about.

They had dinner brought in for me, and I ate a lot after the many days that I was only served broth and bread.

When I was finished eating, and they were done with their work, they gave small smiles and I tried my best to give one back.

Alta had me all to herself.

She didn’t bother talking. She was one, if no the only one, of the few Capitol citizens who could read me like a book. Instead, she just took out my dress and displayed it for me to see.

It was a Capitol version of my reaping dress, but it was still plain and beautiful. There were more embroidery of the silver scales and the fabric was more expensive, but the cut was the same. I looked at Alta for an explanation.