Chapter 26

The interviews took place in the sitting room on the District 4 floor. I was relieved, because I wouldn’t have to wave at anyone, because there wouldn’t be a live audience. I still had to be prepped though, although my clothes this time were the most subdued.

Caesar gave me a warm hug when he saw me. “Congratulations, Serena, and my deepest condolences. In light of recent events, I know that this will be difficult to talk about, so tell me when it’s too much for you to handle, all right?”

He looked sincere and I didn’t expect this kindness from him. I nodded as I took my place. The man behind the camera counted backward to signal when the start of the live interview would begin.

“Even in something as plain like that, you still look wonderful, my dear!” Caesar said, being in character for the camera again.

“Thank you. I honestly just can’t wait to get home and see my family again,” I said, not wanting to joke around anymore.

“I bet your parents are relieved that both their children have victor’s blood that runs through their veins! Have you spoken with your brother recently? I know he’s your mentor, but with the busy celebrity life of a victor, I don’t think you would.”

I glanced at Aldo, who was sitting right behind the camera and smiling sadly at me.

“No. I think he’s more relieved than my parents though. They would have been extremely angry at him if I ended up not going home.”

Caesar laughed and glanced at Aldo as well. “At least he was up to the job of playing the overprotective older brother!”

“I thought he had abandoned me when the parachutes didn’t come, really.”

Caesar and I talked for a few more minutes, but I knew he had to touch on the subject that would hurt the most. I wanted to be as honest as I could without crying.

“Did you realize just how much Slate had loved you, before the arena?” Caesar said gently. He held my hand tightly, to let me know that he knew this was hurting me but he would help me get through this.

“We had suspected that it would be the two of us in the end,” I said. “It would have been an amazing show, wouldn’t it, to see two relatives of victors battling it out at the end to see which bloodline was stronger, better?”

Caesar nodded, but he let me continue. “Go on.”

“It turned out that it ended up with us as the last two tributes because we were both protecting each other. I have to be honest with you all. I thought that I could kill him, when the time came.”

“But you didn’t, did you? You just asked him what you were both going to do.”

I nodded and sighed. “I had a lot of plans in my mind, but none of them included my ending him. I never would have imagined him taking his own life. In the end, he was the stronger tribute. He was honorable in his death as well as in life. He volunteered for the honor, and in his death, he did it voluntarily as well. He did things his way.”

“What were the scenarios you planned out in your head, then?” Caesar said, all forms of joking gone now.

“If he attacked, I would jump in the water. I knew he couldn’t swim, so he wouldn’t go in after me. I had always thought that I was the one who loved more, but it ended up being him. I didn’t realize how important he was to me, until he said he loved me as he welcomed death.”

Caesar listened to his earpiece as tears started pouring down his face. He had a look of surprise on his face. He smiled at me and said, “All those we love continue to live on through us, Serena.”

“I know. I just wish I had a something to remember him by other than my memories.”

Caesar could hardly contain himself. “I was just informed that you do, in fact, have something to remember him by, Serena. You had been run under a few tests to see to your health, and it seems that you have a tiny piece of Slate inside your belly.”

I looked at him, stunned.

Those nights that I couldn’t let go of him ran through my head. Could it be possible? I held onto my stomach. Somewhere inside could be a child that had his blood running through his veins.

“You are certain of this?” I asked Caesar.

He had tears in his eyes as he nodded, holding both of my hands now. “Congratulations! You see? You’re not alone. Slate made sure someone would protect you.”

Whether he meant to or not, Slate had given me the greatest gift.

With death, there came new life.

“Thank you.”